cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to backup mailbox on exchange 2010

yonibar81
Level 2

Hello, 

i installed backupexec 2010 r3 on my exchange server ( v.2010).

how do i backup my mailbox ?

what do i need to backup.

Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You need to backup the entire Microsoft Information Store

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Kind of worried as to why you have just installed a version of Backup Exec that goes End of Support in less than 1 week. If you value the Exchange Data enough to know you need to back it up then you should be looking at current versions of Backup Exec. (especially as it will be missing security updates, fix updates etc as we have not released patches for that version for a long time)

OK yes you can use that version beyond end of support as the product license does not expire (although to Backup Exchange you would need both a BE Srever License and an Exchange Agent license)

Thanks, do you have a guide ? video as well be good.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

I am not aware of any videos - there is an Appendix in the Admin guide specificially about Exchange (although if reading the 2010 admin guides DO NOT read or implement anything to do with Continuous Protection aka CPS - as that option has been completely removed from the product range so it would be a mistake to even consider implementing it)

As a basic level (against any BE version after 12.x) you need to setup a job to backup the mailbox databases with GRT enabled and without CPS enabled. And to do this you need BE installed and licensed with both BE server and Database Agent licenses (or an edition that includes both of these) - AND if the Exchange server is not the Backup Exec server you need to install the remote agent software onto the Exchange server - once this has been done you then go about configuring the backup storage and creating the backup jobs.