cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to put 2 tapes onto one?

Formal
Level 2
We have 2 set of tapes for our Daily Network and Exchange Backup. How can we consolidate 2 tapes onto one?
4 REPLIES 4

Chris_Fielding
Level 4
Combine the selections of the backups to one job?

Not sure I understand what you mean, is there space for both jobs to fit onto one tape?

You could set the second job to append to media and set both jobs to write to the same media. Setting the media to overwrite protect but appendable... theres any number of ways of doing this if this is actually what you mean.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
As the other poster suggested, combine your jobs using Append for the second that runs.

For existing sets, you should be able to DUPLICATE set2 output to the end of Set1 Output using DUPLICATE jobs.

Formal
Level 2
Please let me clarify. We are using Backup Exec version 10d. We have 2 backups scheduled, one for Exchange Mail and the mail store etc. and the other for data files backup.

We had a problem with the exchange backup with backup exec authentication (using exchange 2003 server) where both jobs could not be authenticated when the 2 backup jobs were as one, going to one tape. So now we have to have 2 backup jobs. One for exchange mail and the mail store etc. and the other for data backup.

We do monthly backups and have 2 tapes for each month.
The Exchange backup is 33GB and the Data backup is 33GB also , the backup tapes are 80GB native capacity. So the 66GB will fit on the 80GB tape.

We want to consolidate the data from 2 tapes onto one so we can retrieve some tapes as we are unable to get the exchange and data backups to happen on one tape.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
If I understand you correctly, waht you would do is create two jobs, both using the same media set.  the first to run each night would be an Overwrite job, the second would be an Append job