cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to take NAS backtup to tap

alinawaz
Level 5

Hi All,

we have NAS (network access storage box) and we are using it for our pcs images and want to take this backup to tapes using symantec backup exec 2010. how can i take backup from NAS to tapes? this is NAS box i can not install RAWS. can anyone please tell me.

Thanks

Agha

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Striker_303
Level 6
Employee

Can you login to media server using Be system login account and make sure

can access NAS from windows.(create\delete files),

To make this easier, add NAS to domain (if your NAS web-console have that option)

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

If you're able to access the drive using Windows File Share (CIFS, SMB or SAMBA) methods, you can back up the device by pointing your server to the UNC path \\SERVERNAME\SHAREPOINT.  You won't get the performance benefit of the agent, but it will not be as bad as you think.you would get a error in the backup job but thebackup would be successful

refer http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH23840

ArulPrasad
Level 6
Employee

Ensure the NAS device is listed in the HCL under NDMP.

Enable NDMP licence

Add the NDMP Device in the Devices tab in backup exec.

Under the backup selection, Browse the NDMP device to select the resource and backup

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

NDMP license is not required, as Rahul mentioned a backup of NAS is possible using UNC path.

NOTE: Although Remote agent cannot be installed on NAS but still atleast 1 RAWS license is required in the environment

alinawaz
Level 5

Thanks Rahul,

i enabled the user share option and  defined the user selection by IP address and gave NAS credentials but after 3 minutes i received error that network path was not found. i can not see any shared folder.

I also installed NDMP license but how it will i dont know it is also not showing any device under NDMP selection.

Thanks

Agha

AmolB

Make sure BESA (Backup Exec service account) has full access to the shares

alinawaz
Level 5

Oh.. NAS is on workgroup with local admin and pwd and Backup Exec is using domain admin account so how i can do this.

sunnyc_up
Level 4

Backup of mapped network drive is not supported with Backup Exec. Although, you can try adding the NAS server directly under selections through "user defined selections". Create a user defined selection by machine name or IP address of the target server and then try expanding it, provide the logon account credentials with permissions on the share on NAS being backed up. Please note that you will need a license for "Agent for Windows Systems" to backup a remote NAS server. Although, on the NAS box, no software needs to be installed, but a license would be required to backup a remote server.

Please mark it a solution, if this is useful.
Thanks

AmolB

Sunny, What you have posted above is the same that Me and Rahul have already mentioned.

alinawaz
Level 5

Thanks all of you.

where i need to install agent, there is no option in NAS to install any software and we can not install agent on media server.

Agha

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You don't have to install anything.  Just backup your NAS using its UNC name, just like the others have advised.

alinawaz
Level 5

UNC is not working, it stucked after gave NAS credentials in user defined selection.

Striker_303
Level 6
Employee

Can you login to media server using Be system login account and make sure

can access NAS from windows.(create\delete files),

To make this easier, add NAS to domain (if your NAS web-console have that option)