cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hp MSL-6000 switching between tape units

jimrski
Level 2
  Running BE 12.5 with most updates, missing the last three months worth.  I have a HP MSL-6000 tape library connected via SCSI and had one tape unit go bad.  Received the new tape unit and instakked it and added the new device to Backup Exec.  A couple jobs ran fine howeve, I come in this morning and all BE is doing is switching between the two tape drives.  It will go to on tape and say In use for about 5 seconds then switch to the other and say in use but nothing is being backed up.  Jobs show in queue and tape are in the tape drives with room on the tape.
  Any ideas?

TIA

Jim

"There is nothing fool proff to a talented fool"
6 REPLIES 6

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Are you getting any alerts that state to "please insert overwritable media"?

jimrski
Level 2
 No, no alerts at all.  That is the ocnfusing part.  Several jobs are ready but no idel devices in the job monitor window.  I swithc to the devices window and see the tape unit with both drives below it and like I said it rotates the In use between both tape drives?  Very Odd.

TIA,
Jim

Symboy
Level 6
Accredited Certified
 Hi 

Just check for the basec things like 

Symantec drivers for the tape drive 
Medium changer set to unknown in DM 
Removable storage service stopped in Services console 

Also check if you have any error message in eent logs 

You can try doing a Power cycle of your server and the library .

If nothing works then probably something wrong with the BE database .

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Another thing to try

Shut down all BackupExec services and try NTBackup.  Can it see and access/write to both tape drives?

jimrski
Level 2
  hey guys thanks for the idea's.  Going back there now so I will let you know.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
We've got an MSL6060 with 4 tape drives, and had the same issue on a number of occassions. Each time with Tape Drive #1 (slot 2). Pulled the tape drive out, and we have not had this issue again, although I need to install it again sometime.
I suspect it's got to do with that drive you've replaced. Could be newer firmware that's causing the issue.
Start with:

1. Reinstalling the drivers for the drives through BE. Restart the services, and try again.
2. Delete any entries for your old drive you've replaced.
3. Update the firmware for your MSL6060 using either HP Library and Tape Tools or the MSL web front-end itself.