cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have to use the panel on the HP Autoloader 1/8 to Import/Export my tapes.

Matt_Eibenstein
Level 3
I have to use the panel on the HP Autoloader 1/8 to Import/Export my tapes even though I have submitted an Import/Export job via Backup Exec.
The Import job will start and then a message pops up and says "Press Ok" once import is completed.
Then I have to go to the panel of the HP Autoloader, Choose "Offline" > Commands>Import>Slot #>The door opens I insert the backup media. Then I put the Autoloader back "Online" and press OK on the Backup Exec message and the Import Job continues.
Is everyone having to do this or is the BE Software completely controlling the HP Autoloader 1/8?
Please Advise.
3 REPLIES 3

ray_littlefie1
Level 6
Does your HP Autoloader have a dedicated Mail Slot? Autoloaders that have a dedicated slot to place tapes for import/export can 'automate' import/export commands.
Autoloaders that only have a portal (an opening to access the robotic arm) need to have external commands (local panel or web interface) to complete the import/export function.

Swati_Joshi
Level 6
Accredited
Hi Matt,

Ray has put on the right thing.

The "Import/Export" commands are applicable to the feature which is called as "Mailslot" or "Media access Port" or "Portal". If the autoloader supports these features , then you would be able to run this jobs.

Furthermore we would like to know if you receive any event ids regarding this ,in the windows event viewer.

Thanks and regards,

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Matt_Eibenstein
Level 3
I found the following on HP's website. This answers my question.

ISSUE:
Despite clearly having a physical mail slot, from a software perspective, the HP Surestore Autoloader 1/8 does not have a mail slot. This occurs because every slot in the product temporarily serves as a mail slot in import and export operations. Software and SCSI specifications require a dedicated mail slot and the HP Surestore Autoloader 1/8 is handled as if it does not have a mail slot.

SOLUTION:
Because import and export operations cannot be done through software, all import and export operations must be carried out via the front panel. This means the software may not accept these operations. Therefore, if the software does not automatically re-inventory the slots after an import or export operation, the user will need to manually initiate the software in order to re-inventory the slots. If this is not done, the software will not have the correct inventory data because it will not recognize the tapes in the autoloader.

NOTE: Do not import or export cartridges from the front panel during a backup or restore operation because this may cause the operation in progress and any scheduled operations to fail.