cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IDR to identical server fails with microsoft license error message

Not applicable
I have been unable to fulfill an IDR from a Live server to a disaster recovery spare (exact duplicate server). I have successfully created bootable CD etc and the whole thing appears to run correctly but fails at the final login - error that there is a problem with the microsoft license. I have been told by Verities that idr only works if you recover to the original server..please confirm this! in a disaster recovery situation the original server would not be available - fire, theft, flood etc etc. (911/tsunami) if this is the case then has it been fixed in the release of version 10? If this is not the case can you please advise me on which idr option is available?
2 REPLIES 2

Vidyaj__Patneka
Level 6
Hi,

You can recover the original server on to a different machine (Using the IDR) provided it has same hardware and specifications.

Before recovering the computer, note the following:

◆The hardware must be identical to the original computer except for hard disks, video cards, and network interface cards.

◆There must be enough disks to restore all of the critical system disks. A disk is considered critical if it is required for the computer to boot successfully.

◆The storage capacity of each critical disk must be greater than or equal to the corresponding original disk. Disk geometries, which may also be called disk
parameters, must be compatible.

◆Floppy and CD devices cannot be external PC-card drives. Because external PC-card
devices are not supported during the GUI-mode Windows Setup phase, they cannot be used to access data, and recovery cannot be completed.

◆If a *.dr file is unavailable for the computer being restored, you can still use IDR to recover the computer, but you must first manually restore the partition information,
including utility partitions.

Hope that in your case this conditions are met.

================================

Kindly have a look at the following technote which will guide you through the IDR recovery process.

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/192923.htm

Check whether you have followed the same procedure as described in the technote.If not we request you to run the process again.

If the issue persists then revert back with exact error message and the moment at which the IDR fails.A detailed explanation of each step carried out would be helpful to diagnose the issue.

Abhinav_Bindroo
Level 6
Assuming the solution provided is correct. Also, there is no response from the customer within 2 days from the last reply by Veritas