cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incorrect tape capacity - Media Types

MME
Not applicable
New to 10d backup exec.  The software does not recognize the correct tape capacity.  I am using dell LTO3 400/800 GB.  Any ideas?
7 REPLIES 7

Robert_Schmidt_
Level 6
a few more details please.

What device/drive are you using?
What is BE showing as the capacity?

Michael_Landry
Level 3
I recently had the same issue, using the same drive.  Turned out to be a bad run of Maxell LTO tapes.  Check a new tape, from a different mfg than the tapes you currently have.

Nothing else solved my problem except for swapping out the "bad" tapes.  Good luck.

Ron_
Level 2
I'm having the same sort of problem.

I have a HP Ultrium 2 (LTO-2) Drive. I'm using Sony LTX200G 200/400 tapes.

I just ran BackupExecTapeDeviceDriverInstall20061015_285593.exe as recommended on another post.

Total Capacity of the tape shows 196 GB in Backup Exec. Media Type shows LTO and not LTO-2.

Under my LTO media type choices I have the following:   LTO-CLN, LTO-10 (87m, 10.0GB), LTO-30 (203m, 30.0GB) LTO-50 (319m, 50.0GB), LTO-100 (609m 100.0GB) LTO, LTO [5] .....to LTO [
24]

Shouldn't I have a LTO-2 media type selection?

Thanks,
Ron

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
If the native capacity is 200 GB, and BackupExec reports 196GB, I'd say you were close enough for Gov't work Smiley Wink

Ron_
Level 2
So it doesn't matter if there is no LTO-2 media type selection as long as it sees the correct capacity of the tape?

Shouldn't the backup speed be quicker for an LTO-2 drive compared to an LTO-1 drive?

Thanks,
Ron

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Shouldn't the backup speed be quicker for an LTO-2 drive compared to an LTO-1 drive?

Depends where the bottle neck is

Are these local or network backups?

What kind of controller is the device connected to?

Are you using Symantec or manufacturer drivers?

Are yiou up-to-date on drivers and firmware for the Controller and the Tape Device?

Robert_Schmidt_
Level 6
"Shouldn't I have a LTO-2 media type selection?"
That's only important if you're using 'media rules' - and you would only use them if you had two different capacity tape drives in the same auto-loader - say an LTO-2 and an LTO-3 drive in the same PowerVault 132T.

- other than that, doesn't matter