cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Increasing number of corrupt files reported by BE 12.5

SSheaf
Level 3
Hi Guys, This came out of the blue. BE has been working fine for months, but abut 5 days ago it reported about 5 files with
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
I have seen it couple of times before as well and turning on the aofo resolved the issue. The problem is when you don't use the aofo option still it try to backup the files that are open and if not able to grab those files properly then it says that it got corruped.

Please check
http://support.veritas.com/docs/258696

The best thing is to use aofo and then try to do backup and then the restore.
Also make sure your Antiviruis scan is not making the files locked and that might be one reason that they are not getting backed up properly, because if antivirus is scanning the  SAME file and backup exec trying to backup at the same time then will be a problem

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

SSheaf
Level 3
frownI have just tested Restore from the tape as above.  It restored all the files, with the correct file sizes.  However the files it tagged as corrupt would not open.  not good

I have also done a small test backup of the folders containing the "corrupt" files.  The backup was classed as successful BUT when restored there were the same problems with opening files.

This IS NOT GOOD as it appears to indicate that a "successful" backup may in fact not be (ouch)!!

Dev_T
Level 6

Hello,

Could you please attach the backup job logs in the mht format

SSheaf
Level 3
Hi Dev,

Site does not allow MHT, so attached them as DOC (not as pretty though)
6107 is the log of the scheduled backup (last night)
6115 is a test (manual/interactive) backup of two of the folders containing "corrupt" files 
6116 is the restore of the test backup above.  At least some of the files indicated as corrupt are indeed corrupt.

Cheers
Stephen

sksujeet
Level 6

Are you using the AOFO option, if not then please make sure you are using the AOFO option as this is free option from 12.5 onwards.
Also in the job there is a tab called advanced open file option, make sure you have the vss selected and it is not set for automatically.

SSheaf
Level 3
Hi Sazz,

AOFO was off (kinda inherited from earlier versions of BE).  I set up a test backup with AOFO on and set VSS to Microsoft service (not auto).

Other testing.  Copied a bunch of files (including a number of the offending files) to a new location (and shorter path).  No problems copying.  Used BE to backup to tape (AOFO off), again it reported corrupt files.  However I had no difficulty opening a sample of the offending files (in both the original and copied locations).  It is suggesting that there is some kind of system problem rather than the files are genuinely corrupt.

Currently running the test again with AOFO turned on etc.

Cheers
Stephen

SSheaf
Level 3
Hi Guys,

My test backup with AOFO and MS VSS was flagged successfulyes.  My first redirected restore attempt gave me nearly half the files "access denied"no.  All files appeared to be in the folder, but testing those listed in the log showed at least these were faulty.  Second restore attempt with Anti-Virus turned off gave no errors, and at least some of the files previously "faulty"  were restored properlyyes.

So for tonight AV turned on (appears to upset the restore, not backup), AOFO turned on with MS VSS specified.

I will get back to you tomorrow with the results.

Still leaves me wondering what happened though surprise.

Cheers
Stephen

sksujeet
Level 6
I have seen it couple of times before as well and turning on the aofo resolved the issue. The problem is when you don't use the aofo option still it try to backup the files that are open and if not able to grab those files properly then it says that it got corruped.

Please check
http://support.veritas.com/docs/258696

The best thing is to use aofo and then try to do backup and then the restore.
Also make sure your Antiviruis scan is not making the files locked and that might be one reason that they are not getting backed up properly, because if antivirus is scanning the  SAME file and backup exec trying to backup at the same time then will be a problem

SSheaf
Level 3
Hi Guys,

No problems with last nights backup (this machines data takes about 4 hours)yes.  I know that the files it is complaining about are NOT open.  I suspect that there are other issues at work, maybe it was the use of VSS that appears to have resolved the issue.  After a couple more clean backups I will be more assured that we have nailed it.

The AV is realtime scanning so I would presume that it scans the file when copied or when backed up.  So if AV were the culprit I would expect an even greater number of "corrupt" files.

It still leaves me wondering what caused the problem to surface.

Cheers and thanks for your interest and support
Stephen

SSheaf
Level 3
Looks like Sazz,  Looks like AOFO and MS VSS are doing the trick, (but I am still convinced the files are not open).  Thanks for your help.
Cheers
Stephen