cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inherited 10d system from former co-worker, need help documenting

Mike_Ely
Level 4

Hi there,

I have a fairly complex (to me) 10d system to manage.  It's currently connected to an IBM TS3200 but the license for tape movement automation was not purchased - am working on that now.  It backs up a number of Windows, Linux, and Unix servers along with an iSeries. 

I'm trying to keep our backup jobs rolling, and many times they fail or go missed, and I have to try and guess what went wrong, which was usually a missed tape swap.

Unfortunately, the person who configured this system did not do much in the way of documentation of the backup strategy, and there are a number of policies that may or may not be redundant.  I don't even know the order of tape swap.

My job now is to reverse-engineer the existing system and understand it before making any changes and documenting how it works.  I wonder if anyone out there has encountered this and if there are any 10,000-mile-view dashboard options I could look at to see a hard list of:

• Which servers are associated with which policies
  • What is the tape rotation schedule
  • Where are the tape ID numbers as determined by backup exec mapped to the tape ID numbers as determined by the tape library machine
  • Everything I haven't thought of yet

I have poked around and seen some of this, but not in a good overhead view, and sometimes what I think is correct isn't - for example, I tried to create a job using a server policy, and the job ended up pulling in selections that I did not see in the server policy or selection group.

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mike_Ely
Level 4
Nevermind.  We decided to do a complete reconfiguration of jobs, documenting along the way.  Seems to mostly work now.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Mike_Ely
Level 4
Nevermind.  We decided to do a complete reconfiguration of jobs, documenting along the way.  Seems to mostly work now.