cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insert Overwriteable media error

Level 2
Hello,

I am using backup exec 9.0 with a windows 2000 server. Everything was going fine until my media became unusable. I removed the unusable media and inserted all new media. In backup exec I moved the bad media to retired media. I have inventoried and imported this new media serveral times, but every time I run a backup job it gives me the alert "Insert overwriteable media". I am at a loss. I have checked and verified that the media is set to be overwriteable and is appendable. Meanwhile, I am just waiting for something to go wrong since I currently do not have a backup.. Please help me :(

Trina
6 REPLIES 6

Mani_2
Level 6
Hello Trina,

Initially move all the Media to Scratch Media and the run the job.

You may refer the following Technote.

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/204061.htm

Additional Information
=================

As a preliminary step, make sure that you have updated Backup Exec v9.0 to Backup Exec v9.1. It addresses many issues and enhancements from an earlier versions and Build of Backup Exec v9.0. Refer the following technotes:

Title: VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) 9.1 for Windows Servers revision 4691.1 (Single .ZIP download)

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/264658.htm

Title: VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) 9.1 for Windows Servers General Information

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/262414.htm

Note: 1. BEWS 9.1 is a free downloadable upgrade inclusive of previously installed agents and options from Backup Exec 9.0 for Windows Servers agents and options.

2. Update all agents/options on all remote systems.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
To expand a little on Mani's reply -

When you move a newly labeled, or a new tape into a media set, that volume immediately takes on all the properties of the media set, including Overwrite Protection Period, as of the date/time that you moved the tape. So if the media set has an OPP of 7 days, and you move a new tape into that media set, you cannot write to it for 7 more days.

The solution is to go ahead and label the tape if you wish, or just inventory, if you wish, and leave the tape in the Scratch media set. When BackupExec writes the tape header, it will move the volume to the target media set by itself.

Level 2
Okay,
I appreciate your help! Thank you. But were not quite there yet.

I have done both upgraded to 9.1 and moved all media to scratch media. First I tried to run a test run...... failed

Then I created a small one file back up job and began to run it. My robotic library began to take inventory on and on and on. Then my favorite message came back "please insert orverwriteable media" Overwriteable media includes scratch, blank or recycled media. Respond Yes. The robotic library comes alive again and after a few minutes I get the same message again.

What part am I missing. Is there any way to make sure it works?? I really need a backup. I am the only person that has had this problem? What did I do wrong?

Trina

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Hmm

Are you current on firmware and drivers for the SCSI card, Library. and Tape drive?

Prajuctaa_Mulay
Level 4
Hi Trina,

We apologize for the inconvenience caused because of the delayed response. Please let us know if your issue / problem is resolved so that we can mark this case as ‘assumed answered’ and move it to ‘answered threads’ pool. However, if the issues still persist then refer to the steps mentioned below:

Delete the media entries from Backup Exec: under the Media tab in Backup Exec, right click on each media and say "delete". This would delete entries of the media from the Backup Exec database. Please perform this for all media that you want to use in Backup Exec. Export tapes from the library, then import them back in the library again, and start an inventory of the slots.

Run the Test Run in Backup Exec. If the issue still persists:
Try performing a long erase on one of the tapes, and verify the results.

NOTE : If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to the ‘answered threads’ pool.

Madhuri_Shenoy
Level 6
As per our previous reply, marking the case as "assumed answered" and moving it to "answered questions" pool.