cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing Version 10

Jake_McNutt
Level 4
Good morning.

We are getting ready to install Version 10 this morning. In our previous dealings with 9.1, we were receiving so many errors on our backups that we've decided to wipe everything out & start with a fresh install of version 10.

One of the problems we were having before was the Exchange backup. We were receiving a different error in Exchange almost every night. It was difficult to fix the problem, as it was something different all the time.

I just started here a few weeks ago, & I recommended that we just start new. My superiors would like to back Exchange up locally, without backing up to the NAS. They would like for it to use its own tape drive & not have anything to do with the rest of the backups. They say the only reason the want to do this, is that they feel Exchange is the root of most of the problems.

We're running Exchange 2000. Can anyone assure me that we wouldn't have any problems including Exchange as part of our nightly backup?

We want to back up roughly 20 remote servers differentially Monday-Thursday, with a full backup on Friday. I'd also like to back up Exchange EVERY night with a full backup. How difficult would it be to set this all up to work together on one backup on the NAS?

I'm a rookie, so please bare with me. Your help is always appreciated.
5 REPLIES 5

Chaitanya_Khurj
Level 6
Hello Jake,

Good morning to you !. Thankyou for your query.

We would like to guide you to a few basic technotes which will help you understand and implement exchange backups better.

How to protect Exchange 2000 and 2003 servers using the Backup Exec for Windows Servers Exchange Agent

http://support.veritas.com/docs/266074

Secondly we would recommend that you do not backup exchange late in the night. By default the exchange database maintenance runs during the night, this might hamper the backups adversely. You might in this case wish to change the database maintenance time for Exchange.

We would also recommend that you split the 20 servers into groups of 3, so that you have more than 6 jobs. This will certainly help increase performance and then if something goes wrong, its easier to analyse the issue.

Before setting jobs to the NAS device, ensure proper network connectivity and ensure that you would be having enough space for backups of 20 servers over a period of time. You might wish to calculate how much space a differential backup of one server would on an average require.

Hope this helps.

If you have any further questions, do feel free to ask.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Jake_McNutt
Level 4
Thanks for the assistance, I've printed out the notes, and will read over them.

In the meantime, here's what I 'm considering. We have an extra Backup Exec Server License. I'd like to just install Backup Exec Server 10 on our Exchange Server & allow it to be an entirely different deal from the rest of our backups.

Is that doable? Can you just install the BE 10 on Exchange and just back up everything on the Exchange Server to its own tape drive?

Jake_McNutt
Level 4
If this question is not answered in 2 days, I will consider it non-answerable & will close the thread.

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

As you have mentioend that you have a licence of Backup exec.
Is it a BEWS v10.0 license?
If yes , then you can install it on the Exchange server.Please note that you will also require an exchange agent license to backup exchange.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Message was edited by:
Deepali Badave

Jake_McNutt
Level 4
I have been out of the office for a couple days.

So if I install the Backup Exec for Windows Servers version 10 on my Exchange box, I still have to install the Exchange agent on this machine?

I'm only going to be backing up the Exchange files to tape locally on this server. I won't be backing up any other remote servers.