cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Additional SQL agent required?

Edwin_Smith
Level 3

We currently have Windows SBS 2003 on one box and we have an additional box with Server 2003 as a member server.

We're planning to upgrade to Symantec Backup Exec™ 2010 for Windows® Small
Business Server which is fine for the Windows SBS 2003 BUT...

I am getting conflicting information from the sales tech from whom I understood that no additional agants would be required to backup the files and the SQL instance on the member server.

This seems radically different from the licensing of BE 12 Small Business Edition which requires an additional remote Agent (RAWS) to backup the files of the member server and presumably an additional Agent for SQL server to backup the SQL instance on the member server. We currently have the (BE 12) RAWS but not the additional SQL agent.

We had to move a SQL instance to the Member server to reduce the load on the base (SBS 2003) server and now we can't backup the SQL anymore. Since BE 12 is dated we want to upgrade but I'm not quite sure what we need to buy.

Thanks in advance

Edwin
2 REPLIES 2

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
I  am getting conflicting information from the sales tech from whom I understood that no additional agants would be required to backup the files and the SQL instance on the member server

Don't know who would have told you this

You have always needed a Remote Agent to backup Remote Servers, and SBS will backup it's own SQL, but needs an additional serial for SQL on a different server, if will do it at all (I've never tried)

Dev_T
Level 6