cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues with cataloging a encrypted backup media

marcusdempsey
Level 3
Hello,

I use backup exec 12.5 to backup a lot of data and use the builtin encryption 256bit AES.  however for our DR purposes I am trying to restore this data at our DR site using backup exec 11d (soon to be upgraded).  however every time I try and catalog the media I am getting the error message saying that the tape is write protected.

The tape is not write protected, the media set is set so that overwrite protection is disabled, and still no joy.  The tape is good, and can be read from our live backup exec server.

Both sites use the same type of tapes and backup drives.

Can anyone shed any light on this issue, I need this data cataloged.

Marcus 
4 REPLIES 4

Angelos
Level 3
 Hello marcus,
Do you have the same type of tape drive at both sites?

If you write a tape on the DR site, then delete the media from Backup Exec (put in Retired Media Set first) and then try to recatalog it - does that work? 
Does it work as well if the data you wrote was encrypted when making the backup with Backup Exec 11d?

If all else fails, I would push that upgrade to 12.5 forward and try again. Run Backup Exec in trail mode if you don't have the necessary license keys.

Angelos

Stephen_P
Level 3
 hi marcus,

The problem to me looks a straight forward version incompatibility issue.

I.e. you can have a higher version always read lower version tapes but expecting a lower version to read higher version  is not supported or atleast the vendors dont provide such functionality.

So, please upgrade your DR site version of backup exec to 12.5 and have the identical patches as that on the production site and then perform a catalog & restore.

Thanks
Stephen

marcusdempsey
Level 3
 Hi,

Yes I have verified that it is a version compatibility issue, installing a trial version of 12.5 had no issues at all.  time to get the update going :)  thanks for all the comments.

Marcus

Stephen_P
Level 3
 Hi Marcus,

If you believe that your problem is solved, close the thread.

Stephen