cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job fails on standalone server, local disk, local tape, BE 10 quickstart

George_Collins
Level 3
Backup Exec10 Quickstart Edition is installed on a standalone server running Windows Server 2003. A simple backup of a folder in the G: disk to a local tape drive fails with: "Access to a device was not authorized with this edition of Backup Exec". BE is installed on the C: disk.

Licenses:
Quickstart Edition, Licensed, Installed
Robotic Library, Licensed, Installed
BE Agent 8.x 9.x for Unix, Licensed, Installed
SBS Library Expansion Option, Licensed, Not Installed

The BE Logon account uses the Server's local administrator user account. No Databases are being backed up - just a folder in a NTFS file system.

Test backups from C: disk to tape work OK.
Why is this not working? What else do I need to install?

Thanks for any help
7 REPLIES 7

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

You can refer the following technoteto troubleshoot this issue :-

http://support.veritas.com/docs/257059

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

George_Collins
Level 3
Thanks for the reply.

I had read that technote while searching for the solution to this problem. As I stated in my question, I am not backing up a database. This is just a folder in a NTFS file system, on a local hard disk on the server where BE is installed. The technote suggests the following:

1. Install the agent for Microsoft SQL Server (this is a paid option)

I don't have SQL server or any other database system.

Is there anything else I can do?

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

As mentioned in the above technote,
This error can occur if the Microsoft SQL Server Desktop Engine (MSDE) instance of the Backup Exec database is selected in a backup job, as you have mentioned here that you have not selected any databases but have you selected the MSDE instance of BEDB?

Have you insatlled the Backup Exec in evaluation mode first?

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

George_Collins
Level 3
The installation was from a disk original, version 10 Quickstart Edition. No evaluation mode installation was made.

The selection list definitely does not include a database: one of the test jobs I ran tried to back up just a single file - G:\shadows\test.txt and still failed with the message above. The setup and file selection is as simple as I can make it. Any other ideas?

Does anybody know what the difference is between Quickstart and other versions?

Rucha_Abhyankar
Level 6
Hello,

Please refer to the following technote for further information about Quickstart and other editions:

Title: What are the differences between various editions of Backup Exec 10.0 for Windows Servers?

http://support.veritas.com/docs/274621

========================

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved toanswered questions pool.

George_Collins
Level 3
OK, thanks. That doesn't explain why it isn't working unfortunately. Is there any reason why BE might treat a disk other than the one it is installed on as a remote server?

Backup jobs run fine on the C: where BE is installed, but not on G: or D:

George

George_Collins
Level 3
OK, it's working.

Tried to uninstall BE, to re-install, and it told me to re-start the server to complete a previous installation of BE. So it seems the restart of the server while installing it originally hadn't registered, and it thought it wasn't installed properly yet.

A restart, re-install, and another restart later and all is well.