Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job stuck in pre processing

Milind
Level 2
Partner

Hello,

Recently my backup job is getting stuck in pre-processing mode, and need your assistance in getting it fixed.

Details:
Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2
Veritas Backup Exec 10d with Service Pack 4

Symptons:
1. Jobs getting stuck in pre-processing mode, when cancelled gets stuck in cancel pending mode.
2. When you click on backup tab, sometimes it will freeze up and then I have to end task the program
3. Sometimes when restarting Backup Exec services will be stuck ib stopping mode, then I have to kill the processes.

I have a strong feeling that it is a problem with some exe's or VSS?

I have seen a similar post at https://forums.symantec.com/syment/board/message?board.id=103&message.id=9556&query.id=7203#M9556

Thanks in advance,

Milind.

5 REPLIES 5

Atique_Qureshi
Level 4
Most of the time Backup job would hang in pre-processing if it is trying to look for attache devices.

Please check the device manager to see if the tape drive and library are seen. Perform a scan for being sure on that.

Check the status of devices on the Devices tab in Backup Exec. they should not be showing offline.

For any further queries you can contact me on mail : aatiquequreshi@aol.com

Regards,
Atique Qureshi
VCP,VSS, MCSE-03

Milind
Level 2
Partner
Hi Atique,

Thanks for your reply, however I dont thing its a tape drive issue since the tape drive is being shown in device manager. I can see the tape drive in devices, also when I ran an inventory it was successful.

Thanks
Milind

Milind
Level 2
Partner
Hi,

Ok now I have got the job working (doesn't get stuck in pre-processing). however as soon as the job starts backing up itself backup it generates an error "bermote.exe -application error ... memory cannot be read" If I click cancel to debug, it will crash.backup exec remote agent service. However If I start the service immediately the job will proceed with next server and will eventually fail after it tries to backup itself again.

FYI
I fixed the pre-processing by creating a new system local account http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/274012.htm

Please let me know if anyone has faced faulting memory issue with beremote.exe with 10d.

Thanks,
Milind.

Atique_Qureshi
Level 4
Hi Milind,
Have you changed the logon account for the remote agent service on the backup server, after the local system account was created.

Remote agent should always be running under local system account.

For any further queries you can contact me on mail : aatiquequreshi@aol.com
Regards,
Atique Qureshi
VCP,VSS, MCSE-03

Milind
Level 2
Partner
Hi,

I called symantec support, and we managed to resolve the issue.

-I created a new system local account twice before calling support, without any luck.
-The support person created a new system local account twice as well, without any luck.

However everything started working when we used the "wizard" option to create new account.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
Milind