cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LEO - HP StorageWorks 1/8 Autoloader

Bojan_Vujic
Level 3

Respected,

I have HP StorageWorks 1/8 Autoloader, and I’m not shore that I can make auto rotation strategy, since this device have only one usable slot in same time (total 8 tapes including cleaning media), and backup exec see this device as stand alone, not as tape library

Do I need LEO for this?

Is anyone here did auto rotation with this autoloader?

8 REPLIES 8

SRodriguez
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Hi,

Backup Exec must see this as a library in order to work.  If the library only has one tape drive you don't need LEO.  LEO is needed when there is more than one tape drive or library.  Please install the latest device drivers for the revision of Backup Exec you are running:

Regards,

Sandra Rodriguez
Advanced Technical Support Engineer

Bojan_Vujic
Level 3
After I install new drivers from here http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/289147.htm, Backup Exec 11d still recognize  Autoloader as stand alone device not as , and show only one tape.

Is it possible to make backup exec to see this autoloader as robotic library at all ?

IS there any way to manually install autoloadrer as robotic library? or some other way to force backup exec to see him as robotic library? 

Can you please send me more instructions how to install LEO, I want to try with this also.

Message Edited by Bojan Vujic on 07-10-200712:13 AM

noodles
Level 4
Hi,

that is quite interesting because we have a similar issue running this Autoloader under
BE 10.
BE detects this autloader just as a single tape drive althought under Windows the change is available.

Regards
/Stefan

SRodriguez
Level 6
Employee Accredited
This library address scheme is either Multi LUN or SCSI ID.  If the device that you got there is LUN based, make sure that Multi-LUN is enable at the SCSI bios.

The LEO, is just a license number that gives Backup Exec the functionality of using more than one tape drive on a library.  To enter it, go to Tool> Licenses Keys and installations... then go thru the setup and enter the number where it ask for the license numbers.

Regards,

Sandra Rodriguez

Bojan_Vujic
Level 3
This autoloader is SCSI and it is connected directly to one server. When i click on properties, it is written HP Ultrium 1-SCSI.

I'm not shore there is any special bios for SCSI controller "Smart Array 642". I will check one more time.

Any additionally advice?

SRodriguez
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Bojan:

That is a RAID controller.  Move the library from the RAID controller and connect it to a standard SCSI controller.

http://sony.storagesupport.com/cgi-bin/sonysupport.cgi/fYj-tC=UL8Ev=QHf=DPZXE=HZha-UeQ7/faq/view/769
Why is it recommended that tape devices should not be connected to RAID controllers?

http://support.veritas.com/docs/191488
Why is it recommended that tape devices should not be connected to RAID controllers?

Regards,

Sandra Rodriguez

Bojan_Vujic
Level 3
That additional SCSI Controller is used only for tape backup - autoloader. Local disk is connected by integrated SCSI controller, and storage is connected by fiber channel.

If i buy standard SCSI controller will it slow my problem?

Is it possible at all to make auto rotation with autoloader or must be robotic library? 

SRodriguez
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Just check the articles, they explained why you can not use a RAID controller with a Tape Device.  Anyway, we don't support that type of configuration.  It must be connected to a standard SCSI controller.

Regards,

Sandra Rodriguez