cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Library error - problem positioning a transport.

Timulty
Level 3
I received this error on HP Storagesworks 8/16 DLT Tape Drive. Please let me know, what might be causing that.
2 REPLIES 2

Keith_Langmead
Level 6
Sounds like an error we had one one of our libraries a while back. I think it indicates a hardware issue with the changer assembly, so it's unable to move the tapes around. Could possibly the drive belt or motor or something else has failed or is faulty. Best bet if it's under support warrenty would be to contact your supplier and get an engineer out to repair it.

Of course if they're anything like Dell they'll insist that you first update your drivers and firmware, since as we all know, it's very common for hardware that's been working fine for ages to suddenly develop a hardware fault due to the software being out of date... *grumble*

Ameet_Thakkar
Level 6
It is observed that the error you have mentioned may occur due to tape device hardware or SCSI Bus related issues. We suggest you to refer to the following steps to resolve this issue:

- Backup Exec work best if the target IDs for each device are configured in a specific manner according to the type of SCSI identification the hardware was designed for. The two types are multi-ID and Multi-LUN. The target IDs
for an auto-loader and tape drive that are Multi-ID Based should be configured with the target ID for the changer (robotic arm) lower than the target ID for the tape drive, avoiding 0 or 1 as these are generally
reserved for boot devices ( i.e. changer = 2, tape = 3).

The target LUNs for an auto-loader and tape drive that are Multi-LUN Based should be configured so that the target LUN for the tape drive is lower than the
target LUN for the changer ( i.e. tape = 0, changer = 1)

Consult the Hardware's documentation to determine how to change the settings for the target ID and/or target LUN. We suggest you to verify the SCSDI ID settings.

- Update the firmware of the tape device to the latest.

- Install latest drivers for the SCSI controller card.

- Please verify from the following URL, if the device used is present in th Veritas HCL support list.

http://support.veritas.com/dsl/lists/device_ddProduct_BEWNT_media_all_prod1_NT9.htm

If the device is present in the above list, download and install the latest Veritas Drivers for Backup Exec v9.1

Uninstall the existing device drivers and reinstall the latest Veritas drivers. Run tapeinst.exe to install Veritas driver.
"TAPEINST.EXE" is located in the directory x:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT (TAPEINST.EXE" is an automated installation application for installing tape device drivers )

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/199881.htm

VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) 9.1 - Device Driver Installer (20050115) - Includes Tape Driver Release (20041231) and Robotic Library Release (45) (Intel Only)

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/273853.htm

We hope this helps.

Let us know if the problem still exists and revert back with the error message.