cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Licensing Issue on Backup Exec 2010 R3

Robel
Level 3

Hi!

Please help with the error below: I am using backup exec 2010 r3.

“Backup 00001 – the job failed with the following error: Before you can back up this resource, you must purchase and install a license key for the appropriate Backup Exec agent”

I have a single server which I haved installed the backup exec 2010 r3 and have a valid license installed on it.

Please help.

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Open selection list and exclude "BKUPEXEC" SQL instance of Backup Exec.

There is no need to take a backup of the above instance as BE itself backups the instance during

maintenace

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

AmolB

Open selection list and exclude "BKUPEXEC" SQL instance of Backup Exec.

There is no need to take a backup of the above instance as BE itself backups the instance during

maintenace

VJware
Level 6

If the above doesn't work, uninstall & reinstall the license key & retry using a new selection list

Robel
Level 3

Hi AmolZeroCool,

Thanks for the info. How about the Active Directory on same server? I have installed the backup exec in domain server and I need to backup also the active directory. Do I need also a backup exec agent to backup the active directory running on thesame server machine?

Please advise as my vendor is telling me to buy an agent to back up our AD while my domain controller and backup exec 2010 r3 are installed in same server machine.

Thanks

AmolB

Active Directory can be backed up without AD Agent(Active Directory Recovery Agent)

Agent is required if you want to perform GRT (Granual Recovery Technology) backups and restore.

With ADRA you can restore even a single object of the AD.

Robel
Level 3

Hi AlmolZeroCool,

Sorry I am new to BackupExec 2010. Just to be clear on my self. The license that I have is BE core license pack for supporting media server. Please confirm if this license cover my entire server that has domain controler and Backup Exec 2010 installed. I need to back up the AD and files on the said server.

Please confirm.

Thanks.

AmolB

With the core license you will be able to backup the server(flat files and AD) on which Backup exec is installed.

You need to backup System State of the DC which contains Active Directory database.

VJware
Level 6

Here is a licensing guide for Backup Exec...quite comprehensive - http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH125462

Robel
Level 3

Hi Amol,

Thank you guys for your help. My problem has been resolved with the solution and information porvided by Amol.

Thanks Amol and also to VJware for providing licensing guide.

Regards,

Robel