cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linux - Access is Denied to Remote Agent. Check the login account for the specified device. Backups run, but show as failed.

Jim_Vandiveer
Level 2
I am backing up our production RHEL (4ES) environment with Backup Exec 10d.
All of my linux selections DLINUX1_xxx_xxx_com  where xxx are our domain variables, are failing.  The error I am getting is Access is Denied to Remote Agent.  Check the login account for the specified device.  I can successfully run the credentials check as our backups are currently running as root (for troubleshooting purposes).  However, once the backup jobs get past these _ selecitons and get to the servers that have a . instead, everything runs fine.  Is this because of the _ instead of the . in the fqdn?  I modified the local hosts file on the backup server to rule out dns issue, I am waiting for that job to complete.  Any ideas?
3 REPLIES 3

chicojrman
Level 6
On the remote server (s) go into the services in device manager and veryfy that the backup services have the correct credentials as far as the log in info for the administrator account. Also you can test the backup agent and change the administrator account login in BEX under the properties of the job.

Jim_Vandiveer
Level 2
So there is no device manager.

superalf
Level 3
Jim,

I had this very same issue (or at least very similar) not too long ago, and the solution was a bit odd and cryptic. Are you using the legacy Unix/Linux agent or the RALUS agent? I find that my Linux backups will fail if the System Logon Account has been deleted from within the Backup Exec accounts. As soon as I recreate this account they work fine.

I would suggest that in your backup server you go into Network -> Logon Accounts (within the Backup Exec console). Make sure you see an account called "System Logon Account". If you don't, click on "System Account" on the right hand side and type in the credentials for your generic backup account. It would probably good to use an account with domain admin rights, initially, just for troubleshooting purposes, although I don't think it's necessary long term. If you already see the System Logon Account, try deleting it and recreating it, in case the credentials are no longer good. Then restart the Backup Exec services, and rerun the jobs.

In my case I would run the credential checks and they would pass. I could drill down into the selection list and see all the folders and files. But the jobs would fail very quickly with 0 bytes backed up. I tried pretty much everything until we figured this one out. I don't know why this is required, but it just works.

Let us know how that works for you. Good luck.