cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loading Media Problem

Level 2
We use Windows 2003 SBS and Compaq 20/40GB DAT DRV. The backup tapes we use are Sony 4mm DGD 150P.

The problem started 2 weeks ago, everything had been backed up properly before.

I would come in the morning and would get this message which never came up before. The tape would be automatically ejected. The time is ellapsed waiting for me to insert a tape.

I insert another tape but this does nothing then I woud cancel the job. The byte count is 25,835,683,519 which is basically the whole backup.

Server: "LON1WDC1") (Job: "Daily Backup") Please insert overwritable media into the drive.

Overwritable media includes scratch, blank, and recyclable media. Please note that depending on the current Media Overwrite Protection setting, imported and allocated media may be overwritable as well. Consult the online help for more information on overwritable media.

Respond Yes to acknowledge.
Respond No to retry the operation.
Respond Cancel to cancel the operation.

Any ideas what the problem could be?
4 REPLIES 4

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Looks like your backup has grown to exceed the tape capacity. 25,835GB on a 20/40 tape is 1.29:1 compression (and my rule of thumb is 1.3:1). Remember that 2:1 compression is a marketing thing, not an engineering thing see http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/199542.htm

That being said, when you insert a scratch tape in the morning, the job should continue (even if for only a few seconds) and finish all of the data. You can try removing some data from the backup

Level 2
I presume the best thing for me to do is to buy 40GB disks instead now?

Or does this mean I have to buy a new backup tape drive?

Thanks for your help again!

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

You can buy 40GB tapes and to get them compatible with the drive please contact your hardware manufacturer or if they are compatible then you dont need to buy a tape drive.

NOTE : If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be "assumed answered" and archived.

Sheetal_Risbood
Level 6
As per our previous reply, marking the case as assumed answered and moving it to answered questions pool.