cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MSSQL Memory leak

Donovan_Burkhar
Level 3
MS Windows 2003 SBS, BE 10.0 Rev 5484

When this BRAND NEW Dell PE4600 SBS2003 server has been up for about two weeks, I begin to get Allocated memory warning messages in my email:

Alert on at 7/28/2005 1:29:39 AM

A large amount of memory is committed to applications and processes. Consistently high memory usage can cause performance problems.

To determine which processes and applications are using the most memory, use Task Manager. Monitor the activity of these resources over a few days. If they continue to use a high level of memory and are less critical processes or services, try stopping and then restarting them.

A look at the task list reveals 3 instances of sqlservr.exe, one of which continues to grow. At boot it is about 150k. Now 2 weeks later its 750k and growing. I believe this instance is the BE instance of MSSQL, but I have so far been unsuccessful in proving that empirically. It could also be the Exchange instance, although I really don't think so.

Any way to determine for certain that this is BE, and presuming so, what to do about it?
5 REPLIES 5

John_Chisari
Level 6
Partner Accredited
to check if it is the BKUPEXEC instance taking the memory, stop the MSSQL$BKUPEXEC service - see if you get the memory back.

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello,
Can you Update us on the issue please.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Thanks.

Donovan_Burkhar
Level 3
I had been playing around with stopping services and noting the result. The delay between stopping the BE service and having the SQL instance "disappear" was quite long ... by the time it occured I had already stopped other services.

I will be back on client site this upcoming Wednesday, and will update you on the situation at that time.

Thanks,
Donovan

Shilpa_pawar_2
Level 6
Hi,

As suggested earlier you may stop BE services and change the startup type to manual and then observe if memory leak occurs.

You can also directly upgrade to BE v10.0 rev 5520:
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277181.htm

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool

Donovan_Burkhar
Level 3
N e v e r m i n d . . . . .

After a host of other problems with this NEW Veritas installation, I jumped to the conclusion that htis was yet another one. Not so, mea culpa!

The out-of-control sql memory leak appears to belong to the Microsoft SBS monitoring process, so I'll take that up with the mighty M. Sorry for the false alarm.

Donovan