cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mailbox (brick-layer) Backup Necessary on Exchange 2003?

Darryl_Roberts
Level 3
On Exchange 5.5 and Exchange 2000 servers, I always backup individual mailboxes ("brick-layer" backup) and it has saved a couple customer from real problems.

On Exchange 2003 is it so necessary to backup individual mailboxes? I have set the Deleted Items Retention to 30 days on the server, so a user can restore any accidentally deleted item on their own (no need for a backup administrator). If we should need to restore a mailbox or mailbox content from a tape backup, Exchange 2003 includes the Recovery Storage Group to restore individual mailboxes. I have not performed such a restore, but my understanding is that this is now a very practical solution (unlike to solutions in Exchange 5.5 and 2000 that required a separate server). Are there still advantages to backing up individual mailboxes on Exchange 2003 that make it worth the extra time (it's a lot of time) to perform the backup and the aggravation of the occasional backup "failures" because of "corrupted" messages in mailboxes being backed up?
2 REPLIES 2

Niall_Davis_2
Level 4
Hi Darryl,

I have thought about this one also.
I continue to perform folder level backups to private and public stores, but I use the Backup to disk as media instead of tape - that way the library is relieved of work it could be doing on other stuff.
The BTDF is local on the server becuase if there was a failure that required the server being rebuilt / restored, then I would recover exchange from the IS tape backup not the folder level backup anyway.
I'm not so sure the recover deleted items handles all items - i.e contacts calendar etc?
I find it reassuring to know I have a BTDF of the exchange folders, but if any set had to be dropped - this would be the first.

Thanks,

Niall.

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi,

Hope following technotes will help you :

Restoring Exchange 2003 data using the Recovery Storage Group
http://support.veritas.com/docs/264815

Recommended configuration settings for Microsoft Exchange Server 2000/2003 for use with Backup Exec for Windows Servers.
http://support.veritas.com/docs/274090

Update us on the same and revert for any further Query
Hope this will help you

Thank you
Gauri