cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Manual Updates Fail; missing file never existed

Larry_Risser
Level 3
Greetings, Since Live Update has a bug, I am doing manual hotfixes. I am getting the following error when I attempt to run manual hotfixes on Backup Exec 11d.

02-26-2007,11:25:18 : V-225-205: ERROR: Unable to open the physical file "C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Data\BEDB_Log.ldf". Operating system error 2: "2(The system cannot find the file specified.)". sql:EXEC sp_attach_db 'BEDB',@filename1 = N'C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Data\BEDB_Dat.mdf', @filename2 = N'C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Data\BEDB_Log.ldf' ***To search for information about this error, click here
02-26-2007,11:25:18 : V-225-118: Error installing BEDB ***To search for information about this error, click here

The file BEDB_LOG.ldf does not exist (never has as far as I can tell). The only files with similar names are bed_dat_log.ldf, bed_dat.mdf, bed_dat.bak

Could it be that the scripts to run the hotfixes have the wrong file names in them?
10 REPLIES 10

perry_baker
Level 6
Employee Accredited
The installation routine is looking for the correct log file name bedb_log.ldf. The BEDB transaction log has always been that name.

BEDB has never used the file name bed_dat_log.ldf for the transaction log file name.

You can test this with a fresh installation on a test system.

I really don't know how the log file could have been given that name by default. The only way I can think it could have happened is by using BEUtility, selecting the option to copy the database and then giving it the name you specified.

You might be able to use the SQL 2005 Management Studio to change the log file name to the expected value. Be sure to make a backup prior to this attempt and be sure to stop all BE services as well.

Other than than you might be able to use BEUtility to make another copy of BEDB specifying the correct file name and then copy those files into your BE data directory.

John_Sims
Level 3
I have two servers here that have the exact same problem. Both have hotfix #6 and neither will successfully update manually or through live update. Both have been restored using IDR (don't know if that has anything to do with it). This can't be a fluke when this is a problem for more than one server.

John_Sims
Level 3
I fixed it by backing up the BEDB and restoring it but renaming the file correctly using SQL Server Management Studio Express. I think that it does have something to do with a restore using IDR.

-John

Larry_Risser
Level 3
Hi John,
I don't see how to rename the log in Management Studio Express. Can you tell me how please? I'd appreciate it.

thanks, Larry

John_Sims
Level 3
When restoring the database under general options, select to restore from device, then select file, then add, selecting the location the DB was backed up to. Then select the backup file (default is BEDB.bak). Place a checkmark in the DB just selected (second in the list that shows up - at least on mine). Then select options on the left hand side. Click in the "Restore as" column for the bedb_log file and using your arrow keys, scroll to the end of the file location/file name and delete "dat_" so all that is left in the name is bedb_log.LDF. MAKE SURE OVERWRITE THE ORIGINAL DATABASE IS CHECKED! Click okay then watch the progress :)Message was edited by:
John Sims

Larry_Risser
Level 3
I'm still not getting this one. I successfully rename the database files through a restore but when I restart the backup exec services, the old files re-appear. Do I need to totally delete something else to get this to work? Thanks in advance for your help.

John_Sims
Level 3
Are you checking the box to overwrite the original database?

Larry_Risser
Level 3
Hi John,
Yes I am and it is overwriting the old database. Everything looks fine until I start the BE services and then the .mdb and log files with the old names are re-created along with the new ones.

John_Sims
Level 3
I didn't run into this problem. It never recreated the "wrong" files, just the newly renamed files. Is the database you backed up named "BEDB"? I also have one called BE_DLO, which I didn't touch. Is there anything pertaining to starting the services in the event log?

Anyone from Symantec moderating this?

Larry_Risser
Level 3
Yes, the database is called BEDB. I've even renamed the old files with .old extensions, etc. It's a mystery to me. I'm hoping someone from Symantec is watching and can help. Thanks again.