cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Manually Set Overwrite Protection Period

Michael_Stankie
Level 2
I come from a NetBackup background so forgive me if I ask a question that has an obvious answer, but here goes:

I recently just took over a Backup Exec server installation and was asked by my supervisor to "make sure everything is running correctly". Needless to say, I found a lot of things that I needed to change, however, one of which was creating new media sets to set retention periods on my backup tapes. Upon setting this up within Backup Exec, I found that for some reason, only one of the 6 tapes in the autoloader was set to the correct overwrite protection date. The rest of the backup set was successfully written to, but the overwrite protection date was set for infinity.

Now, I'm not sure why that happened, but I was thinking that there has to be a way (command line utility) that I could "reset" the overwrite protection date on the media ID's that were "missed" during the initial backup. I know that in NetBackup you would use the bpexpdate utility, but I know that BE works a lot different than NetBackup.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
2 REPLIES 2

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Only the last tape of a Mulit-Tape backup set shows an non-infinite overwrite. (I think because if the last tape finishes at 00:01, it would have a one day later OPP than the rest fo the tape volumes and it would be possible to overwrite part of the set based on the two different days)

If these are single volume backups, then you probably need to contact Veritas and open an incident, 'cause BackupExec is broken.

Michael_Stankie
Level 2
No, you were correct in your first assumption. These are all part of the same backup set, so that does make sense.

Thanks for educating me in the ways of Backup Exec. Much appreciated!