cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Media Remove message

Roy_Tsang
Level 3
Hi Everyone,

We are running Backup Exec 10, there is one duplicate backup job always prompt us to "Media Remove" when it is done, If we do response to it, the job process will still show as "Running" and won't finish until we click on "OK" on the alert message.

I have configured the Alert Categories to (Automatically clear alert after 1 minutes, and Respond with "Yes"), but the alert still won't go away.

I have also enabled in the Options-->Preferences to "Automatically display new alerts", but it still doesn't work, I wait more than an hour+, but it just won't go away.

Thanks
4 REPLIES 4

Roy_Tsang
Level 3
HI everyone,

Some addition information,

I have checked the following link
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/192055.htm, and checked the media server settings, they are all configured as the documentation, but still doesn't work.

Any idea?

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

The following technote might be helpful:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/252430

Revert if the issue persists.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Regards.

Roy_Tsang
Level 3
HI Everyone,

I finally got around the problem, but not with the help from Backup Exec Support Team, but all by my own.

First of all, I want to point out that some "Helpers" from this forum are very annoying, such as Priya Khire, which is a Veritas Employee, although the article of 192055 and 252430 are exactly the same thing, he still post it out and claiming it might be helpful to me, which I think is totally rubbish. May be they have to answer certain number of questions everyday, so just put these kinds of craps in, to meet their daily quota. However, I see it happen to so many other posts and I do not appreciate of "Help" like this.

Anyway, here is how I fix it. FYI, I am running version 5484.
1. download kb 277417 and install the hotfix.
2. run the tapeinst.exe from C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT and reinstall all the drivers for your tape drives, make sure you choose backup exec driver for all your tape drives.

I do not know which one actually fixed my problem, since I did one after the other, but somehow I think it is more to do with the reinstall of the Tape drive drivers, if there is new robotic library available for your backup exec, it makes sense to install the update before reinstall all of your drivers.

Hope it is going to help for people who is struggling to get rid of the stuppid message as I did, and I encourage people to put their solution on the forum to help all other who are relying on the "Great" support from Veritas support team.

Cheers

Roy

Peter_Jensen_2
Level 3
I would like to confirm that Roy Tsang's solution really works!

I'm running 10.0.5484 on Windows Server 2003. I thought I had the "Media Remove" problem figured out, and then I installed BE Service Pack 4. Suddenly it stopped working. I had it set to "Automatically display new alerts", and I set the Alert Category to clear after 1 minute, yet it never did. I scoured the forum, I read all the KB articles that keep being suggested, but none of those helped.

Then I tried Roy's advice and changed the tape driver. I ran tapeinst.exe and used the BackupExec driver (which actually had a more current date than the manufacturer's driver).

It's been over a week now, and it works perfectly every time! If any Veritas folks are reading this, could you please update your support documents and include this fix? It really helps.