cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Media Rotation Question

Brian_Riffle
Level 3
Before I delve into the problem, I should describe our current situation. We have a DLT 7000 autoloader with 8 slots. We have 4 different Media sets, labeled Mon-Diff, Tues-Diff, etc, we have a 5th Media set named Friday Full (uses 3 tapes, friday 1a, friday 1b, friday 1c, etc). Every week, I change the tapes on monday, so I have never had a problem with overwriting. I just tell it to overwrite.. If I miss a monday, no biggie, its just a single differential. However, we just purchased a Quantum SDLT 600 Autoloader. It has 16 slots. For now, since the old Tapes are working fine for the differentials, we are wanting to leave the old DLT autoloader to do the Daily Diff's, and the new SDLT autoloader to do the Full friday backups. I have setup a different media set, Friday-600, to do the friday backups, and it is working. We are currently running both friday backups, on the old and new drives, while we test it out. however, one item is driving me crazy. It seemingly grabs a tape from a random slot. I want it to grab from SDLT slot 1 the first week it is ran, slot 2 the next week, slot 15 the 15th week, etc. It looks like I need to set my overwrite protection to 15 weeks, (16th Slot is for cleaning tape) and put all the Friday-600 tapes in the scratch media set. However, I do not want a differential job, or one of the old friday jobs to use these media. I also want to make sure it pulls them in order, since its easier on me to remember that week 4, i pull the tape from slot 4, and take it off site, week 5, I put back tape 4 into slot 4, and pull slot 5, etc. Any ideas?
2 REPLIES 2

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
The only way to guarantee that a specific job uses a specifc tape is to partition the loader, and create different jobs pointing to each appropriate parition (From the Devices Tab, right click the loader\Create Partition)

It would be a pain to setup with that many partitions/jobs, but once you get it set, it should run without a hitch.

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello,
what Ken says is correct. The only way to do this is to set up Partitions which contain one tape each and target the job not to the devicce but to the Partition.
That should help you achive your cause.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Let us know if that helped.
=============================================
NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.