cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microsoft Exchange Full to Differential

Jeffallen8
Level 3
I have set up a job for a exchange server backup (Daily Differentials). When I first set it up under settings for Microsoft Exchange the backup method was: Full - Database & Logs (Flush commited logs) It has ran for about two weeks now with no issues. I called in a support ticket to have a symantec employee give my server a once over to make sure everything looked sound for backupexec. He said I should change the backup method to: Differential - Logs instead of Full. When I did this I recieved the error below.

How do I resolve this issue? I have followed the error information link and those issues documented dont really fit my issue. My system Info: Backup Exec 2010, Exchange Server 2003

V-79-57344-862 - The Backup Exec Agent for Microsoft Exchange was not used to create the last full...

4 REPLIES 4

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
I don't know why they suggested for differential backup unless and until you migh have a differential plan to do the backups.
The backup stratergy should be full with incremental OR full with differential.
But in exchange differential is not recommended as it doesn't flush the logs and no point doing it as you can't take GRT with differential backups.
The best thing is to go for all Full backups or full backup with incrementals. If you want to run incrementals then full and incremental should be in policy.

Jeffallen8
Level 3
Is it best to have a job setup for just exchange alone? Right now that daily differentials job has 7 servers on the selection list.

I have a Daily Differentials job and a Weekly Full job I set the Daily Differentials to Incremental - Logs (flush committed logs) as you said and left the Weekly Full as Full

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Nope if you want to run the incremental for the exchange then it has to be in policy. Otherwise the best thing is to create a separate job for exchange and create a policy with full and incremental in it.

Also to see the grt view the backup should go to B2D folder and both of them should use the same volume

Jeffallen8
Level 3

Ok I am alittle confused and what you said.  But it sounds like I should keep my exchange server on its own job. I think I will follow that advice, It will just be easier to deal with.