cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microsoft SQL database backup size

Kevin_Miller_4
Level 3
I recently upgraded Backup Exec from v9.1.4691 to v10.0.5520.2 on a Windows 2003 Server. The size of my Microsoft SQL backups almost doubled in size. Currently the size of one database on disk is 9,645,981,696 bytes. The backup log of this database shows 15,473,262,102 bytes. Is this normal? Is something configured incorrectly?

Thanks,
Kevin Miller
13 REPLIES 13

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi,

In order to answer your Question we would like to know your Environment.

As per our Understanding of your Question is this :
You have a SQL Database running and have a SQL Agent iin order to back it up. Where as backuped data shows the 15,473,262,102 bytes.

Or

You mean the Size of Backup exec Database running on Media Server? If yes , update us on :

1.Was the Upgrade successful ?
2.What are you backing up ? (another SQL Databases? )

Thank you

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Kevin_Miller_4
Level 3
I am backing up SQL databases on another server using the SQL agent. This is happening to all the SQL databases I am backing up on 2 different servers. The size of the database in the backup log is much bigger than the actual size of the physical file on disk. One database is 9,645,981,696 bytes on disk but the backup log shows 15,473,262,102 bytes backed up. Before the upgrade, the size in the backup log showed 8,792,182,013 bytes. This happened as soon as I upgraded to v10.

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

Please install the latest drivers and verify the results.
VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) 10.0.5520 - Device Driver Installer (20050815) - Includes Tape Driver Release (20050115) and Robotic Library Release (47) (Intel Only)
http://support.veritas.com/docs/278408

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Kevin_Miller_4
Level 3
I installed the latest drivers but the SQL backup size has not changed.

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,
Please go to job configuration tab and check the selection list and verify what all you have selected for backup.
Now go to tools>options>job log and check the third option to include file details or the fourth option to include further details.
Now run the job and check the job log. It will give you the details of each file including the file size that has been backed up.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

Kevin_Miller_4
Level 3
Well I did that but the job log only added the SQL database name. The backup log shows this:

Backup Set Information
Family Name: "HourlyBackup 8/25/2005 8:10:05 AM"
Backup of "WINSERV3 "
Backup set #27 on storage media #1
Backup set description: "HourlyBackup"
Backup Type: DATABASE - Back Up Entire Database
Microsoft SQL Server Agent: Started

Backup started on 8/25/2005 at 4:31:08 PM.

Backup Set Detail Information
Database IMAGERIGHT_LIVE

Backup completed on 8/25/2005 at 4:39:22 PM.

Backup Set Summary
Backed up 1 databases
Processed 15,473,262,102 bytes in 8 minutes and 14 seconds.
Throughput rate: 1792 MB/min

Doing properties on IMAGERIGHT_LIVE_Data.MDF shows 9,645,981,696 bytes
Am I the only one having this problem?

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

- Does this happen only for Full backups or all types of backups?
- Are you backing up only SQL or other resources as well?
- What type of backup have you chosen for SQL?

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Kevin_Miller_4
Level 3
This happens for Full and Differential backups.

My scheduled jobs backup other resources in addition to SQL databases but I tried a backup with just a SQL database with the same results.

For SQL I have selected Full - Backup entire database or filegroup.

Kevin_Miller_4
Level 3
I seem to have figured out the problem. I found in the Administrator's Guide that "VERITAS recommends that SQL backup jobs be run separately from AOFO or ADBO backup jobs because SQL backups made with snapshot technology are considerable bigger than regular SQL backups."
I had been using Advanced Open File Option during these backups. When I disable AOFO during SQL backups, the correct size is reported in the job log.

Could I successfully restore an SQL database that was backed up with AOFO?

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello Kevin,

Have you tried taking backup without AOFO and also with AOFO ?

Were there any exceptions reported in the job log in which AOFO was used ?

Regards

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Kevin_Miller_4
Level 3
I have switched my backups from using AOFO to not using AOFO when doing SQL backups and my issue of large SQL backups is taken care of.
There were no exceptions reported in the job log in which AOFO was used.

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello Kevin,
Does that mean we can consider your Issue as resolved?

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Thanks.

Kevin_Miller_4
Level 3
Um sure, since my last question isn't being answered.