cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating BE to a new server

TerryT
Level 3
Is there a standard method to migrate an installation to a new server(as intact as possible)?

4 REPLIES 4

SPR_TSE
Level 4
Employee
Yes, there is; there is a tool, BEMig.exe located in \Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec. That covers Part 2 of the the equation.
http://support.veritas.com/docs/286729

Part 1

Install Backup Exec to the new server. When that is done, run LiveUpdate.

In the \Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Data folder, create a new folder named BEDB_11d. Stop the SQL services, copy the BEDB_DAT.MDF and BEDB_LOG.LDF files into this new folder. Copy the files of the same name from the previous media server (\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT\Data) into the \Data folder of the new 11d media server and allow them to overwrite (we DO have copies of them, right?).

Copy the \Catalogs folder from the old media server and allow it to overwrite the new \Catalogs folder on the new 11d media server.

Navigate in the registry to this location:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Symantec\Backup Exec for Windows\Backup Exec\11.0\Install

In the right-hand frame, modify the value of the key named Upgrade to 1.

Add a new string value in the right-hand frame named Upgrade Version; this should be the version you're migrating FROM (e.g.: 9.1.4691.0, 10.1.5629.0).

Restart the SQL service.

Now, this part gets tricky:

Open a command window. Change directories to \Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec. At the prompt, type the following:
osql -E -S <ServerName>\BKUPEXEC
At the 1> prompt, enter:
use bedb ... press <Enter>
go ... press <Enter>
SELECT partitionname FROM datapartition ... press <Enter>
go ... press <Enter>
You should now see a screen showing the old server name. At the prompt, enter the following:
UPDATE DataPartition SET PartitionName='<this server name>' WHERE PartitionID=0 ... press <Enter>
go ... press <Enter>
Now, to confirm that the change has really taken place, run this command:
SELECT partitionname FROM datapartition ... press <Enter>
If you now see the new server name, you're done here; type quit to drop out of OSQL, but don't close the command window.

Now, you're ready for BEMig; type bemig and press <Enter> ... and wait while it runs. When it completes, you will have migrated your old installation to the new server.

TerryT
Level 3
Will this still work if I'm going from a server running MSDE to one running full MS SQL?

SPR_TSE
Level 4
Employee
Yes.

JCstar
Not applicable
Hi Ward, can I please ask:

1) Does your instructions applies to moving from v10 (old server) to v10d on a new server? I am not worried about moving schedule jobs because I have created new ones on the new server. However, I am really concern about the restore lists because we need to be able to restore jobs on the new server.

2) Also, I have trouble copying the BEDB_DAT.MDF and BEDB_LOG.LDF from the old server, even when I have stopped all services (Ms SQL and BE services). Its complaining "the files are being used". Anything else I could try? (we have other services that's using MS SQL as well - so if we can prevent stopping it totally that would be nice).

Old server - Windows 2003 Std SP1 - BE v10.0.5520
New server - - Windows 2003 R2 Std SP1 - BE v10.1.5629

Thanks for any advice.