cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating BackupExec 9.1 to Win2k3

Rob_La_Raus
Level 3
We are moving our installation of BackupExec from Windows 2000 to Windows 2003. In a post from Dec 2003, Sethu Mohan (Veritas employee?) indicates that, for a similar situation, all configuration settings can be preserved by copying two directories and a file to the new server:

~ installation/veritas/backup exec/nt/data
~ installation/veritas/backup exec/nt/catalog
~ installation/veritas/backup exec/nt/pvl.mdb

Is this correct? Is this sufficient? Does Veritas have an official document delineating any/ all steps for such a switch ?

Thanks for all input,

~Rob La Raus
6 REPLIES 6

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Nope.

that would work for v8 to v9 or v10. v9 doesn;t use the PVL.MDB file any more but either MSDE or MSSQL for it's database.

See http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/260054.htm

Migrate v9 to the new computer, then upgrade that.

Rob_La_Raus
Level 3
Thanks much for the response- I found Doc ID #231845 that indicates that 9.x installations aren't so easy.

I have also reviewed Doc ID #260054 and found that my plan to move from Windows 2000 to 2003 disqualifies me from using that list of procedures. Is there anywhere that addresses such a situation ?

Thanks again,

~Rob

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Guess I wasn't too clear.

Install the latest v9.1 build on the W2K3 server using your v9 serial(s)
Migrate the old v9.0 install to the new server
Then upgrade the migrated install to v10

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Please revert with the results of the manipulations suggested so far.

NOTE : If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to the ‘answered threads’ pool.

Sheetal_Risbood
Level 6
As per our previous reply, marking the case as assumed answered and moving it to answered questions pool.

Sheetal_Risbood
Level 6
As per our previous reply, marking the case as assumed answered and moving it to answered questions pool.