cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating from BUE 2010 R3 to BUE 2012 R2 - hints tricks and traps

Darklantern
Level 3

Hi All,

We were waiting for the patches to be released and since they gave been we will be patching out BUE server to the latest level then seeing how things go.

Currently we have 1 BUE 2010 R3 Media server (physical) plus 1 BUE 2010 R3 CASO server (virtual).  Back ups are D2D2T, the intermediate disk is a deduplication device (vendor hardware).

What I am looking for are hints/traps/ best practices for a migration that completes;

1. A migration from BUE 2010 R3 to 2012 (latest version)
  2. Removal of the CASO server, as with only 1 media server it is an unecessary complication.
  3. The BUE 2012 is will be installed on the current BUE 2010 media server, so we cant build side by side.
  4. Possible recovery/retention of database and catalogues.

Our preference a clean build rather than an upgrade.

I would love to hear from real life experiences as well as being pointed to the TECH articles.

Thanks and Regards

Roger

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Kunal_Mudliyar1
Level 6
Employee Accredited

A migration from BUE 2010 R3 to 2012 (latest version)

If you are planning to install BE 2012 on your physical server its a staight forward process

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/videos/upgrading-be-2010-r3-be-2012

Removal of the CASO server, as with only 1 media server it is an unecessary complication.

Virtual server is a CASO so I m guessing the physical server is an managed server

Open Backup Exec and go to License Keys and Installation.  You can remove the MMS option from here on the physical server

The BUE 2012 is will be installed on the current BUE 2010 media server, so we cant build side by side.

Possible recovery/retention of database and catalogues.

Catalogs will be migrated and database will be migrated as per the new user interface of BE 2012 , it a major shift in the way jobs are configured so be ready for it

Check this pdf.

What's Different in Backup Exec 2012 - Symantec

View solution in original post

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Since you want to remove the CASO option, you should convert your MMS to a stand-alone media sever first.

Since you want to do a fresh install, you would not be able to install BE 2012 side-by-side with your existing BE 2010 unless you also build a new media server to install BE 2012.

You can retain your existing BE 2010 configuration and catalog if you make a copy of the Data and Catalog directories under the BE installation directory.

Before you install BE 2012, make sure you get the BE 2012 licence keys.  Your existing BE 2010 licence keys will not work with BE 2012.

Also, you might want to read my article

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/preparing-install-or-upgrade-be-2012

I have also written a series of articles on various BE 2012 topics.  You might want to go to the Articles section and search for them under my name.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Kunal_Mudliyar1
Level 6
Employee Accredited

A migration from BUE 2010 R3 to 2012 (latest version)

If you are planning to install BE 2012 on your physical server its a staight forward process

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/videos/upgrading-be-2010-r3-be-2012

Removal of the CASO server, as with only 1 media server it is an unecessary complication.

Virtual server is a CASO so I m guessing the physical server is an managed server

Open Backup Exec and go to License Keys and Installation.  You can remove the MMS option from here on the physical server

The BUE 2012 is will be installed on the current BUE 2010 media server, so we cant build side by side.

Possible recovery/retention of database and catalogues.

Catalogs will be migrated and database will be migrated as per the new user interface of BE 2012 , it a major shift in the way jobs are configured so be ready for it

Check this pdf.

What's Different in Backup Exec 2012 - Symantec

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Since you want to remove the CASO option, you should convert your MMS to a stand-alone media sever first.

Since you want to do a fresh install, you would not be able to install BE 2012 side-by-side with your existing BE 2010 unless you also build a new media server to install BE 2012.

You can retain your existing BE 2010 configuration and catalog if you make a copy of the Data and Catalog directories under the BE installation directory.

Before you install BE 2012, make sure you get the BE 2012 licence keys.  Your existing BE 2010 licence keys will not work with BE 2012.

Also, you might want to read my article

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/preparing-install-or-upgrade-be-2012

I have also written a series of articles on various BE 2012 topics.  You might want to go to the Articles section and search for them under my name.

Darklantern
Level 3

Hi all,

Thanks for the pointers and replies.  I am going through the articles at the moment.

Unfortunately I can only mark 1 as the answer, but both helped.

Regards

Roger