cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing laptop causes backup to "Fail" (not really)

Thomas_J__Hawle
Level 3
Our daily network backup includes a number of laptops that generally are docked in the office and on the network. When they are, no problem.

But when a user goes on the road and takes his laptop with him, the daily backup begins to show status FAILED because one of the resources to be backed up could not be accessed. In fact, the backup completed normally except for the missing laptop, which is not really an error.

Short of editing the backup job every time someone undocks their laptop--which is not practical--is there any solution to this problem?

I'd like to see a job option along the lines of:

"Where workstation cannot be found on the network, mark backup job as "Incomplete" instead of "Failed" "

which could be checked as appropriate.
3 REPLIES 3

Rohit_Sonawale
Level 6
Certified
Hi,

Thank you for posting your query,

I would suggest you to create a separate backup job for mobile user(s).

About the error message you may launch a product enhancement request using the following link:

http://enhancement.veritas.com

You may also subscribe to our Email Notification Service for latest updates and new releases:

http://support.veritas.com/info/alerts.htm

We hope this information helps, if you have any other questions please respond to the post and we will be more than happy to assist you further.

Thomas_J__Hawle
Level 3
Creating a separate job for mobile users is not the answer. I would have to define a new job every day based on which users were mobile on that day. Every day is different.

The problem of "False Failed" jobs has been raised often enough by many users over a period of years that Veritas must be aware of it. We need a solution to this!

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
This would take a while to set up, but once inplace should run ok

Set up a job for each laptop
Create a script that pings each laptop by name.
If responds, use BEMCMD to execute the corresponding job

All jobs should be Append, Else Overwrite so it doesn't matter whether the first or fourth ot tenth machine is the first to respond