cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mix differential and complete backups

Pete_Morin
Not applicable
Is it possible to mix differential and complete backups in one job? I have some folders that must have a complete backup run every night. But Monday - Thursday I run differential backups. Is there a way to set the one folder to always be a complete backup? The only way I see to do this is create another job and append to the media. I am hoping to avoid that.

Thank you!
5 REPLIES 5

John_Richards_2
Level 3
Since each backup job has a pulldown selection under the general section that determines the type of job, Full, Incremental, or Differential, I can see no way you could do this. If it were me, I would set up three jobs. First, a full backup job for Friday that backs up everything, called something like Friday Full. Next, a full backup job that backs up the folders that must always be done with full backup, called something like Daily Full. Third, a differential job that backs up everything else that just needs a differential backup, called something like Daily Differential.

Then you schedule the Friday Full to run on Fridays only and to overwrite the media. Schedule the Daily Full to run on Monday through Thursday at say 8:00 PM, or whatever time you normally schedule for. Set it to overwrite the media. And finally, schedule the Daily Differential to run Monday through Thursday at say 8:30 PM and set it to append to the media.

This should give you a tape, or set of tapes every Friday that contains a full backup. Monday through Thursday you should get a tape or set of tapes that contain a full backup of the folders that need full backup, and an appended differential backup of all the other files that have changed. It really doesn't matter what time you set the Daily Differential job for as long as it is after the Daily Full. It will start the Daily Differential job as soon as the Daily Full finishes. The Daily Differential job will attempt to start but will go into a queue status waiting for an available device to come ready.

I can't think of another way to do it, but if anyone knows a better way, I'm all ears.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
the general philosophy looks good, but I'd make one small change

Doing it your way, the daily diff job will kick off and the job timer will start ticking. the whole time that it is waiting for the daily full to complete, the timer will continue running.

I'd create a BEMCMD job to release the Diff job, and run that as a POST job of the Daily Full.

This way, the DIFF won't even be released until the full completes, and you'll get a realistic run time.

John_Richards_2
Level 3
Thanks for the reply Ken. Since I don't know what BEMCMD is, I'll do some research and learn something new. I can use that myself so my run time is realistic also. I've not been to any training on Backup Exec so I'm sure there are several things I haven't learned about it on my own. Appreciate your input.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
The BEMCMD guide is here http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/275538.htm

John_Richards_2
Level 3
Many thanks. I have something to read Monday morning. Have a good weekend.