cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving Backup Software

shane_shane
Not applicable
We will be selling out tape backup system and the server it is connected to. What files do I need to save from the backup software so I can restore data from my tapes if it is ever needed. Obviously I will need a new tape drive and computer, but what files from Backup Exec will I need to save if I ever plan on installing it on a newer machine.

- Thanks
Shane
2 REPLIES 2

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Youdon't NEED to save any files. As long as whatever software you will use can read the tapes, you can inventory and catalog, and then restore

If you will be using BackupExec, it would cut down on the Catalog time if you backed up all the ..\Catalogs\*.u01 files (the catalogs of all active backup sets)

if you have been using SW compression, you will have to use BackupExec to restore the files (on a compatible tape drive of course). If you have been using HW compressin, NTBackup should be able to read the tapes (again, on a compatible tape drive)Message was edited by:
Ken Putnam

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello,

The answer to your query by Mr Putnam is correct. You need not have to save any files from Backup Exec. If you want to restore any data, you just need to perform Inventory and Catalog the media. To have a restore job successful, the backup job must be successful.

Regards

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.