cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Seagate STT6201U (Travan) external tape drive is not being regognized

Axis
Level 3
I have an external Seagate tape drive that is recognized in Windows Server 2003 but I cannot seem to get it to work in Backup Exec 10.0. When I try to install Veritas tape drivers, I get this message:

"Driver load failure 0x800F020B for SCSI\SequentialSeagate_STT20000A_______8A51
The device instance does not exist in the hardware tree."

I searched the Veritas knowledge base and found articles 248405 and 236251, neither of which applied to my situation. Is it because the tape drive is not compatible with Veritas Backup Exec? Windows Server 2003 can see it without problem however.

Please help

Dave
9 REPLIES 9

padmaja_rajopad
Level 6
Hi,

Please check whether the device is tested in HCL.

"Backup Exec 10.0 for Windows Servers Standalone Drives Hardware Compatibility List (HCL)"

http://support.veritas.com/docs/274347

and

"Backup Exec 10.0 for Windows Servers Robotic Library Hardware Compatibility List (HCL) (includes Tested Drives)"

http://support.veritas.com/docs/274348

Hope it helps.

NOTE : If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to the ‘answered threads’ pool.

Axis
Level 3
The tape drive is not listed. Does that mean that Veritas hasn't tested it or does that mean Veritas has tested it and has confirmed that it will not work with the Backup Exec software?

Axis
Level 3
One other thing, why does the error message mention anything about SCSI anyway? It is an external tape drive that plugs into the USB port.

Michael_McKenne
Level 6
USB controllers are handlled like SCSI by your computer. I did not think USB devices were BE supported. FYI, most USB tape backups I have seen were very slow in backups. The restore rates were under 10 MB/min. You should replace it with a SCSI or IDE tape drive for better performance.

Shilpa_pawar_2
Level 6
Hi Dave,

Please reboot the server and then try installing drivers.

Also disable RSM service.

Uninstall Intel Accelerator Application (if installed)

Update the firmware of the tape device to the latest.

1. From Backup Exec | Devices Right Click the device/library | Properties | Uncheck "Enable device for backup Exec" Right click and delete the device.
Disable and then delete the existing library and drives.
2. Power down the autoloader
3. Shut down the server

4. Power on the autoloader

5. Start the server

6. Again by using the device configuration wizard, configure the device afresh and then check the results.

NOTE : If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

John_Chisari
Level 6
Partner Accredited
BE does not support tape drives connected to USB or Firewire controllers - at least not yet.

Axis
Level 3
Can I get confirmation on this? BE does not support USB or Firewire devices?

Axis
Level 3
Can anyone else confirm this???

John_Chisari
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Axis

I am confirming this for you - at present USB and Firewire connected tape drives are not supported by Backup Exec.