cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

.NET application errors and service crashes in BackupExec 11d

timatlee
Level 2

Good morning

I hope someone can help..  I've seen a few threads floating around about a similar issue, with varying suggestions for success...  but I'm at witt's end with this one.

I have a Windows Server 2003 R2 x64 system operating as a DFS node and our backup server.

We had been opearting a typical son-father-grandfather rotation (I think that's what it's called): Nightly differentials of servers and workstations (to disk), weekly server and workstations to disk then to tape, and monthly archives (to tape).

We generally see a pair of errors:

In the application log:

Event Type:    Error
Event Source:    .NET Runtime
Event Category:    None
Event ID:    0
Date:        10/29/2008
Time:        12:08:17 AM
User:        N/A
Computer:    BACKUP
Description:
The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( .NET Runtime ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: .NET Runtime version : 2.0.50727.1433 - Application ErrorApplication has generated an exception that could not be handled.

Process ID=0xf58 (3928), Thread ID=0xf90 (3984).

Click OK to terminate the application.
Click CANCEL to debug the application..

and in the System log:

Event Type:    Error
Event Source:    Service Control Manager
Event Category:    None
Event ID:    7031
Date:        10/29/2008
Time:        12:08:17 AM
User:        N/A
Computer:    BACKUP
Description:
The Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Servers service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 1 time(s).  The following corrective action will be taken in 60000 milliseconds: Restart the service.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

As I mentioned, I've been looking at a few different posts around Google on fixes for this:

• Disabling the Progress Indicator (Tools, Options, Prefs) - it's off.
  • Stopping the service, rename the Catalogs folder, starting the service - didn't help
  • Rolling back updates - I've tried rolling back updates to just be SP3, doesn't seem to help.

Let see..

BackupExec is 11d for Windows Servers..  11.0 Rev 7170

Installed Updates:

• SP3 and Hot Fix 47, 48 and 51.
  • .net 2.0 SP 1 - version 2.1.21022
  • .net 3.0 SP 1 - version 3.1.21022

The crashes generally seem to be performing a backup to disk operation - running the Exchange to tape job doesn't seem to be a problem, but as soon as the workstations or servers to disk starts, we see some sort of random service crash.

Thanks in advance,

Tim

2 REPLIES 2

Anup
Level 6
Certified

Remote agent crashes on exchange backup to disk?

Is it a GRT backup or Non GRT backup? Does it fail on public folder? 

timatlee
Level 2

Hi

Sorry, I should have been more clear.

Daily:

- Servers (except Exchange) -> to Disk

- Workstations -> Disk

- Exchange -> Full GRT to tape.

Weekly:

- B2D's go to another tape set.

- Rest of the weekly routine (which isn't currently a problem).

On a nightly basis, we don't see failure on the Exchange job - it's usually the Workstations or Servers' jobs that seem to be the point of failure, however, the service *usually* (like 8 out of 10 times) crashes in the timeframe that the exchange job runs.

I've moved our nightly Exchange job to see if that has any impact.

Thanks for the reply!

Message Edited by timatlee on 10-30-2008 12:28 PM