cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network problems with Backup Exec causing Switches to fail

Stephen_Martin
Level 2
When running ver 9.1 Rev.4691 I'm seeing devices drop off my switches. It seems the software is causing a "broadcast flood" of some kind.

All servers Windows 2000 with updates current. The switches are Cisco 2950's, 3750's.

Thanks..
5 REPLIES 5

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,
Please stop and disable the Backup Exec services for test purposes and check if the problem persists.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

Stephen_Martin
Level 2
I problem only happens when I'm running a backup so how can I stop the services ?

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

Do you have a SAN environement? When you say 'devices drop off switches', what exactly happens? Does the device go offline during the backup? If yes, since when does this problem occur?
Kindly elaborate your environement as well as the issue so as to better understand it.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Regards.

Stephen_Martin
Level 2
Backing up five Windows 2000 systems, all connected to CIsco 10/100 switches.
When the backup server starts the backup job anything that is attached to that swiitch as well as other cisco switches "time out" & drop off of the network, stop the job everything back to normal.
Updated Cisco switch software same result.

Ashutosh_Tamhan
Level 6
Will you turn the switches and nics to operate in full duplex mode even if they are running in auto sensing mode?

Regards,
Ashutosh

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.