cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Novell SMS tree disappears

Elliot_Johnson
Level 3
I am trying to backup a Netware 6.5 server from Backup Exec 9.1 on a Windows 2000 server. It will only work if I select the NW resources through the Novel SMS tree in the Backup Exec console. Periodically, the Novel SMS tree just disappears, and the backups then begin to fail. A reboot of the Media Server resolves the issue, but it soon disappears again. I am currently having to reboot my 10 backup servers at least twice a week. What is causing this to happen so frequently???
15 REPLIES 15

criley
Employee Accredited
This sounds like a network issue to me. When the Novell SMS tab disappears can you ping by name in both directions? Name resolution must be working in order to backup remote NetWare servers. You could also try adding your NetWare servers by going to Tools-->Options-->NetWare SMS (remove the entry for '*' and add in all the servers you need to backup).

Have you checked in event viewer to see if there are any relevant errors that could be causing this issue?

Finally, are you sure a server reboot is needed? Restarting the Backup Exec services should be enough.

Chris

Elliot_Johnson
Level 3
Hi Chris, thanks for the response. Restarting the Agent Browser service should fix it in theory I believe, but if I do this it just hangs in the "stopping" state indefinitely. Then a reboot has to be done anyway. It could be name resolution I guess, we have had issues with it before, but that wouldnt prevent the SMS tree from being visible at the console would it?

criley
Employee Accredited
I think that if no NetWare servers are 'seen' by the media server, the Novell SMS tab disappears. So, it does suggest a DNS or some other network issue here. I would start with adding the servers to Tools-->Options-->NetWare SMS and also make sure that the hosts files on all servers have the correct entries. Do a quick ping test to make sure that name resolution is working as well.

Elliot_Johnson
Level 3
The server is already in the Tools, Options, Novell SMS but if I try and modify the list it just hangs when I click OK. I can ping the target server by name and it resolves its IP adress ok.

criley
Employee Accredited
What about the other direction? In other words, can you ping the media server by name from your NetWare servers?

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello Eliot,

Could you Update us on the issue?

Also try making host file entries. The name and IP Address of the media Server in the Novel Host file and vice-versa.
Restart all services on both servers after that.

Hope that helps.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Thanks.

Elliot_Johnson
Level 3
Hi,
I am still having the problem.
The hosts file is already configured and name resolution appears to be working fine in both directions. I am getting error message "Unable to attach to one of the drives" and the SMS tree is still gone. I cant restart the agent browser service, it just hangs in the "stopping" state. I will have to reboot the media server again, which I have done a number of times, and isnt fixing the real problem. Any other ideas?

Elliot_Johnson
Level 3
I posted a reply but it hasnt been displayed. Anyway...

I have checked that host entries alreaady exist and name resolution is working in both directions. If i try and restart the agent browser service, it just hangs in the "stopping state" indefinitely. then i need to reboot, but i am not resolving the root cause. I am getting "unable to attach to one of the drives" after the SMS tree disappeared. Any ideas anyone?

criley
Employee Accredited
Have you installed SP4a (http://support.veritas.com/docs/280008)?

If you are still having problems after this, I would recommend that you open up a case with Symantec.

Chris

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello Eliot,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered
and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Elliot_Johnson
Level 3
I am applying the SP4a as recommended by Chris. I am doing this tonight, so will update you all on Monday. Thanks for your help.

padmaja_rajopad
Level 6
Hi,

Did Installation of Service Pack 4a help?

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Elliot_Johnson
Level 3
The service pack doesnt seem to have helped. The backups worked ok for a few days (due to the reboot, i think) but it has failed again, losing the SMS tree on the media server. The most worrying thing it that the Agent Browser service wont restart properly across all my media servers. the only way to restart it is to reboot.

criley
Employee Accredited
I think it's time to open up a case with Symantec...

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hello Eliot,

Thank you
Gauri