cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OFO: Snapshot error (0x46b): A potential deadlock condition has been d

SaleemK
Level 3
 I am running Veritas Backup Exec on a win2k3 sp3 server. All my remote servers seem to backup fine. The box I have veritas loaded on will backup the system state but when it gets to the C: drive set it fails with this error. "OFO: Snapshot error (0x46b): A potential deadlock condition has been detected." I tried backing up that system as a remote system and that failed with the same error. If anyone has ever ran into this before or just knows the solution I would apperciate any help.

Saleem
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marksw
Level 5
I think it is a resource error, whether not enough memory or not enough free hard drive space if using Advanced Open File option.  I had 1 SQL server that is taxed and had this error frequently.  I have since turned off OFO and haven't had the problem. One other thing you can try is moving the Backup Exec OFO folder on the remote server to another server with more room. This will slow the backup however.  Adding more ram or moving the job to a time less busy or adding a slave hard drive and moving the OFO folder there may be a good option.  Hopefully this gives you some food for thought. Try some combination of suggestions above until find one that works.

Mark

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Open the backup job properties, click on "Advanced Open File option" and select Microsoft VSS as the provider for the backup. On a Windows 2003 server, VSS would be a preferred provider in comparison to Symantec snapshot provider. This error is caused by Symantec snapshot provider. So, changing to VSS should take care of the error.

Please mark it a solution, if this is useful.
Thanks

Marksw
Level 5
I think it is a resource error, whether not enough memory or not enough free hard drive space if using Advanced Open File option.  I had 1 SQL server that is taxed and had this error frequently.  I have since turned off OFO and haven't had the problem. One other thing you can try is moving the Backup Exec OFO folder on the remote server to another server with more room. This will slow the backup however.  Adding more ram or moving the job to a time less busy or adding a slave hard drive and moving the OFO folder there may be a good option.  Hopefully this gives you some food for thought. Try some combination of suggestions above until find one that works.

Mark

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
I am really interested in knowing what part of that suggestion, fixed it.... :)

srshimpi
Level 3

I am running Veritas Backup Exec 12 v 1364 with sp4 on a win2k3 sp2 server.  I am taking backup of drive C and D. The D: drive backup fails with this error. "OFO: Snapshot error (0x46b): A potential deadlock condition has been detected.". Any one have permanent solution.