cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Organizing and Renaming B2D File (.bkf) Segments

thilton
Level 2
I would like to organize daily the B2D file (.bkf) segments (using the recommended 1GB default for each segment file) by moving them at the end of the day from our one B2D folder to another folder named after the backup day i.e. 040405_Mon. There would be 1 folder created for each backup day. None of these folders would be designated as B2D folders. They could be located on our media server or on an external FireWire drive.

Is there a recommended process for moving B2D file segments as a group out of the B2D folder to other folder locations so that they can, if needed, be brought back into the B2D folder for performing restores? I would assume that the B2D files should not be deleted from their Media Set or their Media Location i.e. Offline Media.

Also in the Media Management settings for the B2D media type, might there be problems by changing each day the: Prefix:/Next value:/Digits from the defaults to a naming scheme that contains the backup date i.e. 040405M001, 040405M002, etc. OR should the default naming scheme, once set, not be changed on a day to day basis?
3 REPLIES 3

Rohit_Sonawale
Level 6
Certified
Hi,

Thank you for posting your query,

We would suggest you to perform duplicate backup instead of copying, please refer to the following technote :

http://support.veritas.com/docs/256096

About the changing prefix of B2D it is not possible, however you may rename the B2D media later.

We hope this information helps, if you have any other questions please respond to the post and we will be more than happy to assist you further.

NOTE : If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be Assumed Answered and archived.

Madhuri_Shenoy
Level 6
As per our previous reply, marking the case as "assumed answered" and moving it to "answered questions" pool.

Daniel_Hazel
Level 3
Is there a particular reason that you recommend duplicate backups over copying? The reason that I ask is that at my remote locations I am backing up to a folder on the hard drive of that server and copying the bkf files to my main location as part of a Post-Command for my daily incremental backups. On my weekly full backups, I'm backing up to a local folder and letting W2K scheduler copy the bkf files to my main location because of the 300 minute limit on post jobs.