cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Out with the old (TapeWare) and in with the new (BU Exec 10D)...

Cary_Shultz_2
Level 3
Greetings!

Going to be uninstalling TapeWare and installing BU Exec 10d on a production server (single server environment). I am aware of the requirement to reboot after uninstalling TapeWare and after installing BU Exec 10D.

Want to make sure that I am doing things correctly with regards to the media.

They already have 10 media ( Week 1 - Monday, Week 1 - Tuesday,.....Week 2 - Thursday, Week 2 - Friday) that is currently being used by the soon-to-be-replaced TapeWare. After I have installed BU Exec and rebooted I will need to import the media.

This is where my lack of experience comes into full view. Is it simply sticking in each media, going to the Device tab and then right-clicking and selecting import media (or something similar)? After this is done I should also catalog the media?

Sorry for the complete newbie question, but when it comes time to do this I want to do it properly. I have downloaded and installed the Evaluation version at home but I do not have a TBU or any media.....just using the Backup-to-Disk right now...

Thanks all!

Cary
7 REPLIES 7

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

Do you want to restore the media that was backed up usind tapeware application?

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Cary_Shultz_2
Level 3
I am not sure that I understand your question. Eventually, yes - but only in the event of something bad happening......

All I am asking is the procedure for using tape media that was initially used by another product. In other words, when we install BUExec 10D we will have these 10 media sitting there. Now what?

Thanks,

Cary

NOTE: I do not understand the "two days - answered" note. What type of customer service is that? Not trying to be rude, just do not understand it.

Swati_Joshi
Level 6
Accredited
Hi Cary!

Please refer to following technote which lists the supported tape formats by BEWS.

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/190558.htm

If the one used in your case is not listed in the above technote, you may
follow the procedure given below and restore the data.

1. Go to Tools > Options > Catalogs

2. Deselect 'Use storage media-based catalogs'
(See following technote to know more about this option)
http://support.veritas.com/docs/200962

3. Load proper media into the drive.

4. Perform inventory and then cataloging.

5. Check whether data that needs to be restored appears in the restore
selection tab.

Hope this helps you.

Thanks and regards,

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Cary_Shultz_2
Level 3
Swati,

Thank you for the link. Probably something that I should have found on my own. It is a little bit difficult navigating your web site, though.

Cary

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

- Is the problem solved?

- Can we close the post now?

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Thanks.

Cary_Shultz_2
Level 3
The problem is not really resolved. When I followed the procedure Backup Exec 10D can not recognize the format of the media and prompts me to format the media so that it can be used. This is not really what I would have liked to see.

But, such is life sometimes (especially this week!).

Cary

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Please refer to following technote which lists the supported tape formats by BEWS.

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/190558.htm

If the one used in your case is not listed in the above technote, you may
follow the procedure given below and restore the data.

What an absolutely assinine response -

If the tape was create by a format other than the ones listed in the TechNote, NOTHING the user can do will make the tapes readable by BackupExec!