cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overwrite problem with new HP autoloader & LTO3 tape

edg
Level 2

Hi there,

I'm having an issue with a new autoloader HP LTO 5 Ultrium and a LTO 3 tape. Connected to a 2008 R2 64bit.

The tape is new, set to overwrite, etc, but I'm unable to quick erease it or to backup something on.

I've tried many yellow tapes but still having the problem.

Updated drivers, check online for a solution but still stuck on this.

The error message: Error : 13 - The media is write protected.

I really don't know what to do, a help would be greatly appreciate.

Find below the environement:

BackupExec 2010 13.0 Rev. 2896 (64 bits)

Windows server 2008 R2 64 bits

HP Storageworks 1/8 G2 LTO-5 Ultrium

Many thanks in advance

EG

8 REPLIES 8

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

An LTO 5 drive can read LTO 3 media but it can't write anything to it.

Backward read/write compatibility to LTO-4 media and backward read compatibility to LTO-3 media.

Regards..

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Quote from Quantum:

LTO-5 tape drives also protect your investment by providing backward read and write compatibility with LTO-4 media and backward read compatibility with LTO-3 media.

Edit:

Ah, just a minute too late.

edg
Level 2

Hummm, ok thank you for the quick reply.

But why in the backup exec application itself, the lto3 tapes are mentionned to be writable ?

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...that doesn't mean they can be written to via an LTO5 drive. Kiran is quite correct in what he said.

BE just shows what it can write to as far as I know, so don't take this screen as meaning you can use those tapes for backups.

edg
Level 2

OK thank you all very much for your support.

Best,

EG

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Since you have 2 different tape drives in your library with different capabilities and a mixture of tapes, you should set up the barcode rules for each of the tape drives so that the correct tapes would be put into the correct tape drive.  In your case, for your LTO3 drive, you should specify that it cannot read or write LTO5 tapes and for your LTO5 drive you should specify that it can read, but not write LTO3.  Once you have set up the rules correctly, you would not get the situation where the wrong type of tapes are used in the wrong drive.  Also, make sure that your barcode labels are correct, i.e. LTO5 tapes must have a L5 suffix and LTO3 a L3 suffix.

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Teo different tape drives?

OP didn't mentioned that.... Problem is with LTO-5 ultrium drive and LTO-3 tapes.

Thanks...

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I stand corrected.  However, what I said about setting up the barcode rules for the LTO5 tape drive still stands.