cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Post Command runs befor job ends

ctcbod
Level 3

Hi,

I'm trying to shorten my backup window and have started using pre/post commands to shut down my AV software.  This worked fine on Tuesday (file server backed up in 2 hours) but on Wednesday the post command that starts AV backup kicked in 40 mins after starting backing up the file server, although the file server had not finished the job. 

Anyone seen behavior this before?

I have selected:

"Run post-command even if job fails" and "Run post-command after job verification completes" only

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

ctcbod
Level 3

Hi - It looks like the AV update service (Sophos) was actually starting up the AV on access scanner service when Sophos tried to update.

It seems to work now that I shut down both services with the pre-command.   

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Are they separate jobs, or in a policy? If separate, make sure your settings are all the same on the jobs...

ctcbod
Level 3

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

It's one job that backs up several servers with the same pre\post commands. Pre Commands (batch file that stops AV service) should run on each server before that backup runs, then the post command (batch file that starts the AV service) is meant to run.

Worked OK on Tues, but not Weds? 

Fingers crossed for tonignt. 

ctcbod
Level 3

Same problem occurred last night,  post job ran after about 18mins of job starting, thus re-enabling AV service and backup slowing right down.  It should have restarted after about 2 hours but the command is being executed too early.  grrrrrr.

I may have to setup a separate scheduled task on this server to sort it out, but really would prefer if BUexec would do the job for me....

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Weird...I don't really know. I can hit the support flag if you want?

Last thing from my side...is there ANY difference in the amount of data backed up between the different nightly runs?

ctcbod
Level 3

Thanks - don't worry just yet.  I'm going to move from 2010 sp1 to R2 sp1 on Monday and see if we get any different results.  I was holding out for R3 (to hopefully fix the issue with slow W2K8 R2 system state backups) but I think this we'll have to move to R2 just to see if this fixes the pre/post command issue. 

Just to add - I'm aso goint to stop the AV (sophos) update service as part of the pre command job, just incase it' this service that is resarting the on access AV scanner.

Cheers

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Are you backing up a couple of servers with 1 job? If so, try backing up just 1 server with the job and see whether the post-command starts early.

ctcbod
Level 3

Hi - It looks like the AV update service (Sophos) was actually starting up the AV on access scanner service when Sophos tried to update.

It seems to work now that I shut down both services with the pre-command.