cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem MSDE SP4 to BKUPEXECDLO but NOT to BKUPEXEC??

Karen_Gallaghar
Level 3
Gentlefolk,

We are running 2003 Server (Standard), all latest patches and SP1, running BackupExec version 10 (5520). I'm trying to patch the SQL MSDE instances to SP4. I applied it to the bkupexec instance with no problem (now it shows version 8.00.2039). BUT, when I ran the same process against the bkupexecdlo instance, it appears to run, I get no errors, but the version is still 8.00.760. Same computer, same command, except the instance name.

The Dos command issued was;

setup /upgradesp sqlrun INSTANCENAME=BKUPEXECDLO blanksapwd=1 /L*v C:\MSDELog1.log

This is the same command I gave on the other instance (except the instance name was BKUPEXEC, and the log name was MSDELog.log), and it worked perfectly, 10 minutes earlier.

thanks,

Karen
5 REPLIES 5

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello,

May i know why would you like to update the version of MSDE ?

Instead you can upgrade the Backup Exec version to BE v10d 5629.

This will install the proper version of MSDE.

Regards

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Karen_Gallaghar
Level 3
I'd like to update the version of MSDE SQL because there are security considerations. I was able to update the bkupexec instance of the MSDE SQL to version .2039, but not the bkupexecdlo instance which is still showing .760.

Is it not possible to do this??

Rucha_Abhyankar
Level 6
Hi Karen,

As mentioned in the earlier mail please upgrade to the latest version of Backup Exec that will upgrade the MSDE also.

Refer to this for more information:

Symantec Backup Exec (tm) 10d rev. 5629 for Windows Servers Installation Files

http://support.veritas.com/docs/279332

==================

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Russ_Perry
Level 6
Employee
The MSDEs that both Backup Exec and DLO use are merely named instances of Microsoft MSDE SP3a. If there are problems applying a Microsoft service pack to MSDE, Microsoft probably would be better suited to address the issue.

Russ_Perry
Level 6
Employee
By the way, if SP4 won't install properly, you can try just the security patch itself here: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-031.mspx