cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem w/ backup exec version 9.1 hanging on exchange 2000 mailbox backup

robin_seier
Level 3
I have followed the technical suggestions from Symantec/Veritas from this thread: http://forums.veritas.com/discussions/thread.jspa?messageID=4436113낑

No change - Exchange mailbox backups STILL hang - and it never displays any error messages. I enabled debugging on the remote. Please provide an email address that I can send this to so that usernames/etc are not compromised.
28 REPLIES 28

robin_seier
Level 3
Q: Can you backup one mailbox via a new job ?
A: NO - we tried that.

What do the logs say? Windows says nothing... the BE logs have information in there containing usernames (mailboxes) and I have been trying to get someone at Symantec to give me an email address that I can send these logs to so that I don't post them publicly (trying to be security-conscious).

Anyway, the reason for the mailbox backup is unclear to me - I am actually posting for another engineer that is seldom here at the office (always out in the field) and is hard to get in touch with. All I know is that he has been trying to do these backup jobs which, as I have said in my previous posts, USED TO WORK.

robin_seier
Level 3

What do the logs say? Windows says nothing... the BE logs have information in there containing usernames (mailboxes) and I have been trying to get someone at Symantec to give me an email address that I can send these logs to so that I don't post them publicly (trying to be security-conscious).

Anyway, the reason for the mailbox backup is unclear to me - I am actually posting for another engineer that is seldom here at the office (always out in the field) and is hard to get in touch with. All I know is that he has been trying to do these backup jobs which, as I have said in my previous posts, USED TO WORK.

robin_seier
Level 3

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello,

Which account is used to backup this mailbox ? What rights have been assigned to it ??

Kindly update.

Regards

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

robin_seier
Level 3
An admin account with full admin privileges - rights to everything.

Joshua_Small_2
Level 4
Hi Robin,

I would hate to bring up something simple, but try uninstalling your virus scanner (if you have one). Just disabling it probably won't do. If your scanner isn't fully Exchange aware (and don't trust anyone who just says that theirs is) then this is exactly the kind of issue you will experience.

As a second solution, I would suggest checking whether you have a good database to begin with. By that, I mean you will want to run both:

eseutil /g
isinteg -test alltests -fix

You will need to do some reason on these commands, and take your system offline first. Again, if you have any tiny corruption, it will cause exactly the issue you are seeing.

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Run the sgmon before running the backup job.

How to create SGMON.LOG
<<>>

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

robin_seier
Level 3
Hi and thanks for your suggestions...

First off, we did end up taking the AV software completely off.

Secondly, I will have the engineer that works onsite try these commands to see what happens.

Thank you!!!!

Asma_Tamboli
Level 6
Hi Robin,

Do keep us updated on the progress of the issue.

Thanks!