cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem when restoring a backup-to-disk folder to a different place

Bill_Gist
Level 3
I backup one of my servers to disk a couple of times a week, and then once a week I backup that folder to tape. I knew I needed to do a 2 step process when I wanted to restore a file from the tape.

I restored the contents of the folder from the tape to a different folder, because I didn't want to clobber the current week's backup that is in the original target folder.

But when I did the inventory of the folder I had just restored, it seemed to get confused because some of the file names (a.k.a. media labels) are the same as in the original target folder.

I say it got confused, because in the devices display, in the original target folder it said "None" after I had done the inventory, and then the catalog.

So then I found all the media in the media display, and moved them to the discarded media set and deleted them, and started again.

And I deleted the two backup-to-disk folders
and recreated them. I knew that at the windows level, the files were still in place in the two folders.

This time I renamed the files in the newly restored directory
old name: b2d00000020.bkf
new name: b2d00000020 restore.bkf
I did this for all the files.

And it let me inventory and then catalog the files, and then I restored the files I wanted to.

And I thought since these media that I had just used now had different names, I could go to my original back-to-disk folder, and get it back into the catalog.

I went to the original target backup-to-disk folder and asked it for the inventory. And at that point the display for just-restored-from backup-to-disk folder started showing "none" for as its contents.

So again, I went to the media display, found the media I had just restored, moved it to the discarded media set and deleted it. And I cataloged then deleted both of the backup-to-disk devices, recreated the original target device, cataloged and inventoried that one, moved all that media from the "Backup Exec and Windows NT Backup Media" set into "Scratch Media" so that they could be over written, and now I am back in business.

My question is this:
Is there a way to restore the content of a backup-to-disk folder to a different place and have it coexist with the content that is in the original place, and I just did things out of order?
Or is this a bug?
Or is it something that you just can't do?

I know about creating a copy job to move the data to tape, but before I ran into this yesterday, I was thinking that in the situation where we didn't need to do the restore very often, it might be O.K. to live with the 2 step restore process. But that wouldn't be an option for us if I have to clobber the content of the original backup-to-disk folder first.
3 REPLIES 3

John_Chisari
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Not really much you can do here apart from run the duplicate backup instead of backing up the B2D files.

Why this happened was because BE sees media by it's Media ID - you can check this out in the properties of the media.

Even though BE overwrites the B2D file for a backup job, it will still keep the same media ID that was first generated.

Hope that helps.

Bill_Gist
Level 3
Is there some way to get BE to use new media IDs when it uses that folder again? The backup job is set for "overwrite".

What would I have to do to get BE to delete those files and create new ones with new names?

Bill_Gist
Level 3
O.K., I'll proceed with using a strategy where I make duplicate copies of the data sets to move the data to tape.

Thanks for your help.