cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with Tape Library or Backup Exec or Operator Error.

LawGratton
Level 2
Using Backup Exec 8.5, Rev: 3571 with an Overland Loader Express (LXL-10). Server OS: Win 2K.
I have loaded the magazine with 9 blank tapes and proceeded to accomplish a complete backup of all my data. The Loader loaded a tape from Slot 1, once full the Loader proceeded to Slot 2. However, when it filled up the tape in Slot 2 it tried to reload Slot 1 tape which failed.

Drive and media information from media mount:
Changer Name: OVERLAND 1
Drive Name: QUANTUM 1
Media Slot: 1
Media Cartridge Label: Micrographics - 00020
Targeted Media Set Name: Consolidated
The media provided to continue the backup already contains data from one or more sets created during this operation.
The operation can not be continued

Writing this makes me think of the Time Protection Settings for Overwrite and Append which I will go and look at after I post this message. My second problem is I only have 2 magazines and I am trying to come up with a plan for a Complete backup every other week and Incremental backups in between the Complete backups. The LXL-10 drive uses SDLT-1 tapes and I am currently capable of backing up 160/320 Gb of data. I have 22 tapes to work with. Anny suggestions gladly accepted, Thanks in advance.
5 REPLIES 5

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Have you (or someone else) partitioned the library?
Is the job pointed at the library as a whole?
Has this worked previously, and now doesn't

Probably won't affect this but I'd recommend the free upgrade to 8.5.3572rc9
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/235868.htm
(plus applicable patches, of course)

LawGratton
Level 2
I had the library Partitioned but deleted all partitions.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Did you change all the jobs so that they no longer point at partitions, but at the library as a whole?

LawGratton
Level 2
Yes; All descriptions/ jobs were newly created.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Well the message just means that the tape has already been used in this job, so will not be overwritten. But why the library won't go to a third tape ....

All of the tapes in the magazie are scratch? (If you inventory them, they show up in blue rather than black)
Do you inventory every time you swap tapes and/or magazines ?
Are you current on firmware and drivers for the SCSI card, the library and the tape drive?