cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems cataloging "external" bkf files

Vinh_Bui
Level 3
Hello,

I am working with Backup Exec 10.0 on a Windows 2000 Server box. I am trying to catalog some .bkf files that I did not create, but am running into problems.

I created a Backup-to-Disk folder, and copied the .bkf files to that folder. I then "successfully" ran Inventory on that folder. However, when I try to catalog the .bkf files, I get a "bengine.exe - Application error" message that resembles the following:

The instruction at "0x01dca7ad" referenced memory at "0x011d1000". The memory could not be "written".

I was wondering if this error has something to do with the current install of Backup Exec, or if it is my system itself. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Vinh
5 REPLIES 5

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello,

Can you please elaborate on the phrase "I am trying to catalog some .bkf files that I did not create, but am running into problems."

Using which backup software the backup was taken ?

KIndly update.

Regards

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Vinh_Bui
Level 3
I managed to make it so I would be able to catalog the files. I backed up my old "Catalogs" directory and created a new (and empty) "Catalogs" directory and the error disappeared. I was wondering if there could be a reason for this.

What I meant in my initial post is that I received these files from another party that used BE 10 (I believe) to back them up, meaning I didn't create them on the server I am currently using.

Ashutosh_Tamhan
Level 6
Backup exec has to have the catalog of the data in the bkf file, which is why one needs to catalog the bkf files!

Regards,
Ashutosh

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Vinh_Bui
Level 3
I know the bkf files must be cataloged, and I go that working. The question I have is this:

Why did renaming my old catalogs directory and creating a new "Catalogs" directory seem to fix the problem I had. Was it some kind of sync-ing error between the software and what was in the catalogs directory? Or could it be something else?

I would just like to know, so that I know how to avoid this next time.

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

Yes the job engine can stop if there is any corruption in catalog folder in such cases you can try renaming the catalog foder.

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.