cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about differential

Robbie_Payne
Level 3
When backing up using differential, how come all folders in the selection list are backed up when there are no changes, no files in the folders???

I did a full backup, changed 2 files, did a differential and the 2 files were backed up, but so were all the folders in the selection list. Again the folders were empty. There is data in folders, but none of the data had changed so the data was not backed up, other than the 2 files that had changes to them.

So when i go to do a restore on the differential, it restores all the empty folders along with the 2 files that actually got backed up.

Is there a way to have differential to only backup what was changed???
4 REPLIES 4

Swati_Joshi
Level 6
Accredited
Hi Robbie,

Did you notice the difference between the byte counts of Full backup and Differential backup?

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Edward_Charles
Level 6
I think what he means is that when you do a restore from a diff job you always see the entire selection list and not only the files and folders that have changed.

So yes even though it obviously only backs up what has changed, why does it still show the entire list and you have to sort through it to see if a file is in the folder so you know it had changed.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Robbie_Payne
Level 3
Yes i see a difference in byte count between a diff and a full. What i don't understand is when you do a restore from a diff job you always see the entire selection list and not only the files and folders that have changed.

Why is that? And is there a way to change it to only show you only what exactly was backed up?

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Selection list for the full and differential is same?

we suggest you to install the latest SP1 for BEv 10.1.

Please refer the following technote:

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/282818.htm

Note:It is necessary to update the remote agents on the remote servers.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.