cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about updating files to NAS

Khaos
Level 4
Hi,

i am chasing up the original post i left a couple of days ago about netowkr storage needing remote agent to be run so backup exec 11d could identify a storage device outside of the actual server.

This worked well and did my first full backup "B2D" which is sitting nicely on the NAS...i even did a small recovery which again seemed to of workled well after i delibrately deleted some directory files and folders.....

My problems is now....configuring and understanding of basic working processes backup exec is doing when i want to append data to the existing backup...

I thought that when clicking on another backup job....that the options which ask you to append the data....meant that the system would look thru all the original backuped files and only change data which has been updated or added. Instead i see my original backup of 40gb has almost doubled in size to 80gb...which means what it looks like its done is double the backup twice and not just ammend/append directory changes.

I want tobe able to create the full backup and then add only changes to files and folders daily, or weekly (whichever). I know this has something to do with creating incremental and differential backups after the full backup but i cant seem to understand how to implement these settings into backup exec.

Also is there a way to schedule automatic backups after hours when users arent accessing the server??

Ive not read that far deep into the manual but any help is much appreciated....

Hope to hear from you soon

All the best

Keri
3 REPLIES 3

harmstrong
Level 5
Employee Accredited
Hi Khaos,

Make sure the backup job is set to append .

What are the differences between Differential and Incremental backups ?

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/230247.htm    

Advanced Device and Media Management:
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/192265.htm

Overwrite Protection and Append Periods: 
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/237374.htm

Regards,
HArmstrong
Symantec

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
"Append" just means to extend the backup media Like writing on the remainder of a tape, or adding additional BKF files in the same backup set on disk

What you are thinking about is either an Incremental (backup and reset the Archive Bit) or a Differential backup (backup but do NOT reset the Archive bit)

Khaos
Level 4
thanks guys for the quick info....

i know i sound like a noob...but i will be honest and admit with symantec backup exec i am......i understand that what i need to do is either a diff or an incr backup but ive gone as far as to create a backup to disk full backup with the max capacity set to 100gb with 100 times writing ability and only 1 process per time plus a 10gb warning before my NAS system runs out fo space.....

I just want a dumbies guide to how i qould set my server system to backup lets say 1 full backup per week on this B2D file on NAS and possible automatically get symantec to only append the changes of new files and any changed files to the full backup.....then lets say a full 7 days....a full backup append again...or so i understand....

how would i pull off this methodology using my B2S NAS directory and not tapes etc.....i dont want to see my backup file doubling in size because i want to append just changes.....

Hope someone can just give me a quick setup guide how to do this simple full,then diff and inc backups daily.....

Im not following that well with the symantec instructions....

Again, much appreicated the help you guys are giving me

Hope to hear from you soon

Keri